Chapter 40 - The Self-Proclaimed Assassin

Start from the beginning

The man was clearly taken aback by her abrupt action and hurriedly moved his blade away from her neck before she could pierce her own windpipe.

"Holy heavens, woman! What the heck are you trying to do?! If you want to die so badly, then at least find someone else to do the dirty work!"

Feng Yao let out a snort. "Weren't you the one who insisted on playing the character of an assassin? If you can't even keep your blade steady against my neck, then how are you supposed to use this act against others in the future?"

His mouth opened and closed as if he wasn't sure of how to answer her question. "I--ah..."

Seeing this, Feng Yao simply sighed. 

"Haaa...I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think that you're cut out to be an assassin. You obviously failed at the inn when you came to attack us. Then when you came to launch a sneak attack in the estate, you even got lost and needed my help in running away from all of the traps before finally falling victim to my sleeping poison. And just now, you didn't even have the guts to kill me when I offered my neck to you."

She calmly stepped away from the blade that his outstretched hand was still holding.

"You...you can tell who I am? Even though I'm wearing this mask?" 

His look of astonishment and awe in his eyes made her stare blankly at him. Was he being serious?

Suddenly, she doubled over in laughter.

"Hahaha, of course I could! Were you expecting me to not recognize you? Your mask only covers half of your face, not to mention you didn't even try to disguise your voice. I'd have to be a fool to not realize it was you."

He seemed to go into shock from her blunt words before he finally put away his weapon and reached up to remove his mask. Indeed, the sight of his uncovered face revealed that he was the same man who had previously tried to attack Ru Qiang and had also been saved by Feng Yao when he had accidentally triggered the traps in the estate.

A bright grin decorated his lips as he scratched his cheek in slight embarrassment. 

"Ahaha, is that so? Was my acting really that bad?"

Feng Yao reigned in her laughter and plopped down at the edge of her bed.

"Haha, it actually wasn't too bad. The cold look in your eyes was practically the same feeling as the iciness of your sharp blade against my throat." 

As she wiped away the tears in her eyes, she looked up and grinned. "But if you really want to fool people, you'll have to work on your lack of murderous intent."

He gave her a funny look before sitting down on one of the empty chairs at her table. Without asking, he reached over and picked up one of the unpeeled mandarin oranges laying on her table and began to casually peel it.

"Just because of that? You would place so much trust in your intuition like that?"

Feng Yao glanced at the way that he devoured her pile of fruit with a slight look of annoyance.

"Of course."

Although he was supposedly here because he wanted to threaten her, why did it seem more like he was here to freeload off of her food supply?

Suddenly, Feng Yao saw a flash of silver before his cold sword was already back at her neck. He had managed to appear right in front of her within the span of less than a second. 

When she slightly shifted, she could also feel his knee tightly pressing against her on the bed so that she wouldn't be able to easily move.

"Oh, really?" His eyebrow raised as a satisfied smirk curled his lips upward. "What if I told you I was actually acting this entire time, and you completely fell into my trap?"