27 | the dark lord's sword

Start from the beginning

But as Selene feels her power rush begin to dwindle down, she begins to feel lightheaded. Sabrina watches as Selene drops Durendal to the ground, and then she passes out, once again trying to subdue the darkness within her.

Sabrina moves to help her, but then she passes out herself. Harvey runs into the church as she does so, and helps the witches and warlocks get untied. He picks up Sabrina while Louna picks up Selene, and they all hurry back to the Academy.

When they get there, Sabrina and Selene are put on two different cots while Hilda tends to Ambrose's wounds. For some reason, his wounds aren't healing. However, Sabrina and Selene's wounds heal themselves, and Sabrina's the first to wake up.

"Brina," Quinn breathes out, letting out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. She throws her arms around the girl, relived. "Thank Satan you're okay. I was so worried."

"I'm fine," Sabrina nods, kissing the girl gently on the lips before she walks over to Ambrose, quickly healing him with a few simple words.

The doors to the Academy then burst open, and Caroline rushes in, white as a sheep. The sound of her throwing open the doors wake up Selene, but she doesn't notice her yet. "I came as soon as I heard what happened. Is everybody okay?"

"Now we are," Selene interrupts, sitting up in the cot. She grimaces at the blood she's covered in, but she seems just fine.

Everybody turns to look at her in surprise, but Caroline simply pales. Witches don't naturally heal themselves the way vampires and werewolves do. "Excuse me."

She then walks to the guest room she's been staying in since she arrived in Greendale. Her perfectly manicured fingers tremble as she dials Tristan's phone number, and it doesn't shock her that it takes him a moment to pick up.

"Hello, darling?" His cheery voice says through the phone, clearly happy to hear from his friend. "I wish you were here-"

"Tristan?" Caroline whispers, her voice cracking as she says it. She runs a shaky hand through her hair as he freezes, pausing once he hears how she says his name. "I think you were right about Sabrina and Selene. The prophecy, I think it's real."

Meanwhile, Louna guides Selene and Quinn into Selene's bedroom, making sure that nobody's following them before she shuts the door firmly behind them. Selene and Quinn both sit down on the bed, curious as to what Louna has to say.

She paces for a moment, only making Selene more anxious than she already is. "Just spit it out already, Louna."

"Okay, so long story short, I found some of my mother's journals from a few months before she died," Louna admits, not making eye contact with her sister or cousin. "They were super sketchy and vague, which was not like my mother. She was detailed, so I started looking into it. So I asked Cleo to help me look into it. Mom was speaking in code, and after we deciphered it, we found something."

"What'd you find?"

"Your mom is still alive, Selene."

And in this moment, Selene thinks she feels her heart stop for a moment. She slowly processes what her cousin is saying, thinking back to Cleo's letter and about how she'd written that she saw her with her own eyes. She might not trust Louna, but she does trust Cleo. "How?"

"My mother helped fake Emilia's death. Her powers are suppressed, and she has no memory of any of this. She's living amongst mortals in a small town in Florida."

"Why would she do that?" Selene asks, rubbing her temple tiredly. She feels as though everything is changing and it's too much.

"Because Faustus found out about your half-brother, Eliott Haught," Louna informs, and Selene feels as though a bomb has been dropped on her.

Quinn also gapes, instantly recognizing the name. "Haught? As in Rafael Haught? The council member?"

"The same one," Louna nods, wondering if she'll regret telling Selene all of this. It's all sensitive information that could get all of them killed. "Before Emilia was with Faustus, she had a one night stand with Rafael. She got pregnant, and went away for a while. My mother disappeared a little while after that, and they both returned to Greendale just a few days apart. She sent the baby to live with mortals, but I'm guessing Faustus found out. Emilia was afraid of Faustus, so her and my mother formed a contingency plan."

"What's he like?"

"Brilliant," Louna exclaims, pulling out a picture of a boy with raven colored hair and dark eyes. He has a wicked smirk, the same one that Selene has sometimes.

But once she sees the picture, her eyes widen, instantly recognizing him. "That's him?"

"Yeah."

"I've seen him before," Selene tells them, shocking them. "When I was a child, I had dreams of a boy that would protect me, no matter what the cost. He fought off all of the nightmares that the voices in my head bought. And then one day, he just disappeared, and I haven't seen him since. That's why I have to take foxglove to sleep."

"He's four years older than you, Selene. Was top of his class at the Academy in Cambridge. But he had a dark side, one that made my mother realize something."

"What?"

"A thousand years ago, one of our ancestors, a seer named Reeva Blackwood wrote a prophecy about two siblings. Twin souls of light and dark, fire and ice, witch and warlock, bound by fate and blood. They'd be destined to bring a balance to our kind. My mother believed those siblings are you and Eliott."

"Then where is he?" Quinn questions, asking the question her and Selene are both dying to know. As long as she doesn't have her memories, Emilia is safe, but what about the boy?

"Dead."

UNEDITED