You've Discovered Who You Are

Rumplestiltskin (Mr

Rumplestiltskin (Mr. Gold): Before you go, answer me this: How did it feel? (We Are Both).

When Archie came down the stairs after checking on Pinocchio, Mr. Gold was already taking his leave. Earlier, he'd declined the offer of a ride with, Don't trouble yourself. I'll call my car service. Now, dressed in his black Burberry raincoat, gray cashmere scarf, and black kidskin gloves, he looked out-of-place in the woodcarver-slash-handyman's pine-paneled entryway.

As Archie approached, Mr. Gold took Geppetto's hand and shook it. "Thank you for inviting me. Nobody ever does."

"I know what you mean! Since the curse broke, everybody's been too distracted!"

Mr. Gold fidgeted with the brass handle of his cane. "I didn't mean since the curse broke. I meant ever."

"Oh, come now," Archie said, joining them. "You're exaggerating. Last spring, I saw you at Mary-Margaret's welcome home party."

Mr. Gold shrugged. "Someone else was going I wanted to observe. I invited myself."

"But... you were her lawyer. You had to—to invite yourself?" Archie frowned. "That's—that's not right."

Geppetto tsked in agreement.

Mr. Gold tipped his head to one side and then the other as if to assure them the matter was trivial. "People find my presence disturbing. Perhaps a carryover from the Enchanted Forest. You know. The whole invite the imp and he'll eat your firstborn thing."

Geppetto's forehead crinkled indignantly. "No. Don't say that. Surely, your friends—"

"Friends?" Mr. Gold bent his head, and his smooth brown hair fell across his face. "At best, I've known a handful of people I could trust to deal with me fairly." He shot Archie and Geppetto a quick smile. "That was something."

Archie shifted his weight from one foot to the other. The usual words of support he'd have offered a counseling client seemed inadequate. And a hug is out of the question.

But where Archie was cautious, Geppetto was artless. The kindest man I've ever known. He watched his friend give Mr. Gold's shoulders a reassuring squeeze. "We've always been fair with each other. That's because we're both craftsmen. We have the patience. We have the mindfulness. I think, maybe, we're already friends for a long, long time."

Archie saw Mr. Gold relax. Geppetto had that effect on people. "I'll remember this evening. You—"

Outside, a horn honked. The car service, Archie thought. Mr. Gold stepped back from his host—establishing space again.

"You take care of your boy."

As Mr. Gold turned to open the door, Archie snatched his coat and umbrella off the rack. "Wait a minute, I want to ask—" With a hasty farewell to Geppetto, he hurried and caught up with the man limping down the front path. "I think maybe—maybe I can help."