68. Beltane Part 14: Mercury's End

Start from the beginning

Rage burns through me. Mercury wants to feel, does he? I will make him feel.

"It is time for you to run," I say.

"Nay," he says, opening his arms wide. "Have at me. I do not fear a violent death."

If I did not hate this piece of shit so much, I might commend his bravery. At least I see now, where Finn gets it.

"You don't fear a grusome end, do you? It's what I told myself, too." I say. "Ten thousand times. But the truth is, even if you're relatively sure you will be restored to your godhood, it's unendurably frightening, when you are hacked to pieces. You feel every slash, every gash, every tear, every spillage of organs, every limb drop. Perhaps the most maddening part is when the blood drips into your eyes and you move to wipe it away, only to discover you don't have a hand or an arm, anymore. In that moment of utter futility, that's when the pain really hits you, but it's too late. You can't make it stop. You've lost too much godpower to reverse your injuries. When control is no longer yours, the pain will go on and on. You would think, from over there upon your perch, that you will wish for death in that moment, but trust me, it's in that moment you will want to live. You'll want her. More than you have ever wanted anything. You'll want her kisses and her comfort and her magic to soothe the pain. You won't ever have it. You'll wake up in that Roman Underworld and return to your goddamn Roman way, but you'll remember your death at my hands for eternity—the way it made you long for her. A longing that will never be fulfilled. I hope it becomes your own personal hell."

Mercury eyes are bright with fear now. Good.

"Why don't you run, Mercury?" I sigh. "Are you not the wing-footed god? It is a fitting end for you. You'll make a better death on your feet." I do not tell him I hope the adrenaline coursing through him after flight will make him feel his death more acutely.

He looks at me coldly, but in his civilized manner, he inclines his head. "I suppose you have some wisdom after all, Cernunnos." He rises gracefully on the limb, walking sure-footed out the length of it. He leaps, and he is running.

Stag, even with his immortality shorn from him, he is still fleet. As fast as any beast I have ever hunted. I lead with my horns and a snarl, flying off the limb after him.

We tear through the forest, him lithely dodging all natural obstacles, me crashing into trees at first in my rage. My mistakes lengthen his lead, but he is still in my sight, a silver streak like an automaton, so out of place in my natural domain. I lean into the beast, and soon I am bounding on all fours, taking great leaps and gaining upon him.

A massive tree ahead, Mercury headed straight for it. He will dodge at the last minute, making it harder for me to turn. If I only I can push harder—

One final burst of rage and I push off from the earth with all the power I have, putting my head down at the last possible moment. My left horn pierces his back, just above the right kidney. His sharp cry of surprise rings out in the dark, and then I feel the shudder of my horn planting into the tree. I hear his teeth grinding, a proud refusal. He will not whimper, but the sickly sweet scent of pain floats into my nostrils. His blood runs down my horn and into my hair.

I reach up, grab him by the neck and jerk my horn free, catching him as he falls. I drag him away from the tree into a clear space and toss his reeking, panting form on the ground. He doesn't speak, he just stares up at me. I am glad he uses no words. It will make this easier, if he doesn't beg.

I drop to my knees and claw away his shirt. His wound is already healing from what godpower remaining to him. But slowly. I have him at my mercy to finish the kill, for minutes at least. The guts must be spilled first. I have the strength to do it with my bare hands, but I find myself taking out my knife. It's cleaner, less painful that way. Wait. I want him in pain, don't I? He murdered Cerridwen. He stole my soul. He deserves all the pain I can deliver.