BEST FRIEND ~Portgas D. Ace X Reader~

Start from the beginning

Ace sat in his room as he stared out of the window, his thoughts clouded with one person in his mind. She had been taking up his mind for who knows how long and no matter what he tried to do, she wouldn't budge. He sighed. "What are you doing to me?" he whispered to himself, a smile on his face.

He was snapped back into reality as the doorbell rang. Lazily making his way down the stairs, his pace quickened when he heard her voice. Opening the door, the cold air slapped his face. But that didn't matter. What mattered was shivering (Y/N) standing on his doorstep. Ushering her in, he closed the door. Not letting her utter a single word, he ran upstairs. Coming back seconds later with a towel in his hands, he wrapped the towel around her. "Ace-"

"Shut up. Explain later. You'll catch a cold. Idiot" he muttered, making her smile. He might put up a tough façade in front of people, but only she knew how much of a soft person he was. And so, after a much needed warm shower and a change of clothes, the duo sat on the kitchen counter with a mug of hot chocolate.

"Talk." One word was all it took for her to look down sadly and start talking. "I and kidd were supposed to go out today. When I reached the park, he was snogging up with Baby 5. Turns out, he was cheating on me with her for two whole months!" she finished off with a sniff.

Standing up from his spot, he walked around the counter to sit beside her. Opening his arms, he quickly jumped into his arms and sobbed. "I told you he would only be trouble. He did bully you back in middle school." he sighed.

Now I realize you were the only one
It's never too late to show it
Grow old together, have feelings we had before
When we were so innocent

He stood outside Vivi's house, waiting for her to come out. He had been going out on dates, hoping that this would distract him from the thoughts of her. As she came out, then took off for their 'date'. The ride there was silent. But it was soon cut off.

"You should stop wasting your time on these meaningless dates." Vivi had started. He turned to her, a confused look on his face. "What'd ya mean?

She chuckled as she shook her head. "What I mean is that it's so obvious that you love her. (Y/N) I mean. The whole school knows, actually. Even the teachers are desperately waiting for you to get together, for goodness' sake. Even Mr. Shanks! The way you look at her gives away the whole 'best friend' thing. The only person who is oblivious to all this is (Y/N) herself. She thinks that you two can only be best friends, but she loves you too. Even Luffy, the biggest knucklehead I've ever seen, is suspecting something is going on. And she's just like you. Not wanting to ruin the friendship when the other one rejects them. She herself is trying to distract herself and clinging on to that little string of hope that she finds someone who would distract her from you. But that person can only be you, Ace."

During her little speech, Ace was left speechless. You loved him too. Wait. "She likes me too?!" he exclaimed, eyes wide. "Love more like"

And so, Vivi had explained everything to him. The signs that she's shown that she loved him too. Even a little advice was given. His eyes were now opened and he couldn't wait to confess. He went home with a grin on his face, so big that Vivi feared that it might split his face in half.

I pray for all your love
Girl our love is so unreal
I just wanna reach and touch you, squeeze you, somebody pinch me
(I must be dreaming)
This is something like a movie
And I don't know how it ends girl
But I fell in love with my best friend

Ace waited for her in the park, near their tree. The tree that they planted there during the summer when they were ten. It had grown a lot, and the duo mostly spent their time sitting on one of the branches. He waited and waited. It had been an hour. He had planned everything. He was gonna do it today. Getting lost in his daydream, he jumped a little when his phone vibrated. Looking at it, his shoulders slumped.

'~Sorry, can't make it today. Law asked me out.

~(N/N)'

(Y/N) and Law was at the Baratie café, just down the street. (Anyone finds it familiar? *eyebrow wiggle*) they were sitting there in silence, and it was getting a little uncomfortable. "It's a nice day out today, isn't it?" she tried to make a conversation, but it clearly wasn't working. After a few more failed attempts, Law finally spoke. "This isn't going to work, (Y/N)-ya. I know that you like Ace-ya. Everyone does. So distracting yourself from going on dates and getting into relationships isn't going to help. And denying the fact isn't going to help either because you and I both know that it's true. So stop wasting your time and just confess already. Otherwise, it'll be too late." She was shocked, to say the least. "B-but, what if he doesn't like me?" she didn't want to ruin their friendship. It was too precious.

Law huffed and shook his head. Smirking, he replied. "Oh, he doesn't like you, love is the word here." and so, she knew what to do.

I know it sounds crazy
That you'd be my baby
Girl, you mean that much to me
And nothing compares when
We're lighter than air and
We don't wanna come back down

They met up at the park, like always, and did their thing. Talked. But that soon came to a stop so, the duo sat under the tree, enjoying each other's presence. None of the bringing up the fact that they knew about the other's feelings.

(Y/N) closed her eyes, finding the heat from the sun relaxing. Feeling that the sun was no longer hitting her face, she opened her (E/C) orbs and her breath hitched. Ace was hovering over her.

And I don't wanna ruin what we have
Love is so unpredictable
But it's the risk that I'm taking, hoping, praying
You'd fall in love with your best friend

"I can't take this anymore..." he muttered. "Wha-" her question was cut off when a pair of lips landed on hers. Without wasting another second, she kissed back with all the love she had for this boy.
But the air was becoming necessary and the two pulled apart. "You have no idea how long I've been wanting to do that..." he whispered, staring into the jewels that were her eyes. She giggles, still breathless. With flushed cheeks, she looked ay his onyx orbs that were filled with so much love that nearly made her melt. "I think I know the feeling"

I pray for all your love
Girl our love is so unreal
I just wanna reach and touch you, squeeze you, somebody pinch me
(I must be dreaming)
This is something like a movie
And I don't know how it ends girl
But I fell in love with my best friend

He peppered her face with kisses, making her giggle. She cupped his face in her hands, finally making him look at her. "I love you, so much..." and with that, she pulled him into another short, but sweet kiss. Pulling away, he pulled her along with him. Laying down on the grass with her head resting on his chest. "And I love you. So much that it hurts."

I pray for all your love
Girl our love is so unreal
I just wanna reach and touch you, squeeze you, somebody pinch me
(I must be dreaming)
This is something like a movie
And I don't know how it ends girl
But I fell in love with my best friend

And six years later that day, they got married. Even after all these years, their love for each other didn't flatter at all. His heart beat faster every time she looked at him. Every kiss was like the first. Every touch sent sparks everywhere. But their friendship was still the same. Same childishness, same habits, everything.

And a year later, they had two beautiful kids. Twins to be exact. Lucy and Rouge. And they proved to the world that best friends can fall in love and nothing can be ruined.

I fell in love with my best friend
I remember when I said I'd always be there
Ever since we were ten, baby...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm so sorry that this took so long. I know I said that I will upload this in a few hours the other day but I've been busy lately.

Honestly, I had been working on this one for months. Since September, actually. I just couldn't get any ideas for it, and I was supposed to upload this yesterday but the thing that I typed in word just disappeared and I had to retype half of the thing. But it's here. Not requested by anyone tho. I may be posting a Sabo X Reader later, but don't expect it.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

~LMH