Chapter 4: You're Invited

Start from the beginning

Ross: I just saw you getting... beaten alive and... Something in me just couldn't bare watching them do that to you.

I could see part of his cheeks start to burn pink, as if he were blushing. He looked down, probably of embarrassment. His actions, actually made me look down at my lap and smile. Wow. He really cared about me last night.

Laura: Well... I just, wanna thank you again.

I looked up at him. He did the same. I gave him a crooked smile. He didn't smile back, but I could see in his eyes that he was sending me a silent you're welcome.

Ross: Now, can I ask you something?

I swallowed, then slowly nodded.

Ross: Why aren't you afraid?

I furrowed my eyebrows at his question.

Laura: Afraid of what?

Ross: Afraid of me.

Oh. Now I think I understand where he's going. I think he's talking about the fact that he's, "The Wolf Boy".

Laura: What's there to be afraid of?

He just stared at me, apparently a bit startled by my response. He was speechless. So, I just continued, not wanting to have to face another period of silence.

Laura: You saved my life. You've never threatened to harm or hurt me in any way... So, I really don't see anything to be afraid of.

This brought me back to all those articles I read last night. All the lies those publishers put into them. How can they call Ross heartless? It's just, awful to hear all of these untrue statements being made. Ross is still a human being. A human being with rights. He needs respect too.

Ross: But, you heard what all those people think of me. I know that you know exactly who I am.

I slowly nodded.

Ross: All those things about how I should be killed or shot on sight when someone sees me.

I nearly cringed in disgust at his words.

Ross: How I'm a dangerous killer with no soul or no heart.

Laura: But that's not true. None of it is!

Look what these people are doing to him. They're making him believe that all of these rumors are true. He can't hypnotize himself and actually believe he's a cruel, uncontrollable beast.

Laura: *sighs* Look, please don't believe in any of that stuff that they say. I've seen you attack people, yes. But you were only doing it to protect me... Right?

His eyes traveled up to mine. I could see him give me a small nod. I gave him a little smile.

Laura: Okay then. :)

He still didn't look convince by my small speech. He turned away and stared into the fire.

Ross: But I've hurt other people in the past...

Laura: Well... I'm sure you didn't mean to...

Ross: *sighs* You don't get it. It's like a tradition in the wolf life. Every wolf has a goal each year of killing at least one human. Legend has it that once we kill all the humans of Earth, we would be the rulers and finally no longer live in the shadows of the world.

My heart broke at his words. Is this all really a legend? The wolves kill all humans, then take over the world? I gulped, starting to question this situation. If the wolves need to kill all humans, then shouldn't he have killed me by now? It's not something I'd ever see him do.