I gulp.

" oh shoot I forgot that was there!" He leaps on the bed scooping up the knife and shoving it under his pillow.

"You can't tell my parents"
His voice quivers slightly.

"You can trust me ... I -I won't tell them" I nod my head , as if to assure not only him , but myself that this is a promise that I will take to my grave.

He sighs

"You don't need to explain" I whisper , secretly hoping that he will explain. Mainly because a part of me doesn't want to be stabbed on my first night.

"I wasn't going to" he looks away and I nod.

The next few things are done in silence , unpacking
Laying out my air mattress
Folding my clothes
Going through the CDs I brought ...
"Hey do you have a CD player?"

He looks confused , but then as the question sinks into his brain and his eyes light up.

"Yeah I do actually! I thought everyone my age got rid of CDs and used Alexa instead"

I laughed at this

"My dad doesn't allow me to have an Alexa , says the governments using it to spy on people" dan shrugs and walks over to a shelf with a cute looking cactus on it.

I love cactuses!

"Do you have a name for it?" I blurt out

"What?" He's confused again

"For the um... cactus" I ask , realising how stupid I sound.

Thankfully he laughs , his adorable laugh that I cant help but laugh along with.

"Hmm , I don't think I've named it before , so I guess I'll name it Phil" he turns to me glowing.

"Really?!" A huge smile breaks on my face and before I know it I've leapt from my seat and wrapped my arms around dans shoulders.

"Woah- haha Phil what are you doing?"  He places a hand on one of the arms that are wrapped around him.

"I - I just, I couldn't stop myself..your so beautiful and I just want to hold you"

Is what I wanted to say , but instead I said..

" I have to no clue .. I think this is my attempt my at a hug" I awkwardly laugh trying to cover up my dumb excuse.

"Ok ... you suck at hugging then" dan laughs as I let my arms fall from to my sides.
"I tried" I laugh it off and try to sit back down on the bed but something's pulling me back to dan ... no , someone is pulling me back .

Wrapping their arms around my waist , hoisting me back , spinning me around so I'm face to face with him and I'm up against the wall. One of us Heavy breathing. The other holding his breath.
I frantically look at his face to see any sign of this being a joke or another dream. It's not.

"This .. is how your supposed to do it philly" he looks so serious, eyes only focusing on one thing , my eyes.

I gulp.

He closes the space between us with a hug.

Then pulls away quickly with a huge grin on his face

He laughs and jumps onto the bed

Wait what ... my brain just shut down

"Sorry if me being so serious scared you , I was just messing with you! I mean your face was priceless , like you were trying to solve a really hard math equation and failing" he kept talking really fast , and occasionally laughed but I stayed quiet

It is like trying to solve a math equation ... one that's way above my skill level.

Why am I so confused?

" alrighty , I'm gunna show you where the bathroom is if you wanna get ready for bed then" he smiles

I smile back . Well I try to smile back , but it turns into more of a frown.

"Come one then" he gets up and walks out the door .

I reluctantly follow.