Chapter 2

Beatrice POV

Officially the last day of school. The very last. 

Hell yes.

I woke up with such joy, even Satan would be dancing along to Pharrell's 'happy' with me. I brushed through my shoulder length chestnut hair as I continued to dance in the mirror. 

Normally when I looked at my olive skin tone, brown hair and chocolate eyes and I was disappointed with just how ordinary they were. 

Not today. Today I felt like Madonna. 

I shuffled downstairs, almost dripping with excitement as I saw my little sister eating breakfast. Macaroni and cheese for breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner. No one could say no to Brynn when it came to mac 'n' cheese. Even when she butchered it with ketchup. Sometimes mayonnaise. Or mustard. She likes to keep us guessing.

I tried to tell her that her eating habits were gross but she proceeded to say I was offending her culinary preferences. Well, with less sophisticated words. She's seven.

I made myself some pancakes and was not surprised to see a note on the fridge. 

"Happy last day of school honey! We had to leave early for work but we'll be back for a surprise tonight. Love you, mom and dad. P.S - Don't let Brynn eat the mac 'n' cheese from last night" 

Well, too late. 

Both my parents were lawyers and I couldn't be prouder of the way they took care of Brynn and me and their relationship despite their stressful schedules. Of course, it meant they'd be gone from time to time but I didn't mind being by myself with Brynn. 

I told Brynn we were late and she grudgingly left her bowl of macaroni and cheese and ... ranch dressing?

As I entered the school hallways, I immediately felt the atmosphere change. Girls were crying in the corner, hugging each other and guys were doing their "bro-hug-slash-neck-slap-thing". People were signing yearbooks, some teachers were crying and it was a total mess. I would miss it. 

In the midst of it entered Asher Woodward and Celia Winters. The hallway split like the sea did for Moses as they walked hand-in-hand and people begged for a picture with them or for them to sign their yearbook. Celia's beautiful waist length red hair was as fiery as ever and matched her bright red lipstick, contrasting her porcelain skin. She looked up into Asher's mischievous green eyes as he walked in his signature leather jacket and bent down to kiss her on the cheek. The mythical pair. Asher and Celia. Connery High's golden couple. 

And my best friends. Apart from Caroline of course. 

They stopped as soon as they saw me, recognition flashing in their eyes and Celia practically tackled me to the ground. 

"I'm going to hunt you down and personally pull out all your nails if you forget me!" She screamed in my ear.

"She's so terrifyingly beautiful" I heard Asher chime in. 

"She's even more terrifying when-" Celia slapped her hand over Asher's mouth and turned beet red. 

"Ignore him," she said rolling her eyes while all he did was suggestively smirk.

I would miss them too. They were what made me understand that not all boys in leather jackets were players, just because you were popular it didn't make you mean and it was possible to stay together forever. If anyone would, it was them. 

No, really. They were both going to Columbia University next year and they pretty much had it all planned out. I even knew what they were going to name their kids. 

Asher told me. 

Granted, he was drunk and a blubbering mess as he asked me if Sophia was better than Sophie for a girl, before he passed out on a bean bag at a party and Celia hauled him up and put him on the couch. 

It was adorable. 

"But she's right. We don't want you to go to Harvard and get all 'elitist' on us" he chuckled as he gave me a hug and Celia joined too. I heard Caroline's heels in the background and heard a whiny 'what about me' as I felt her arms join in on the group hug. 

I'm not crying. It's raining in my eyes. Okay? Okay.

Our moment was rudely interrupted by a voice. I groaned. I recognized it. 

"Beatrice Stenson" 

As we leaned back, Caroline was the first to speak.

"Jimmy, how are the kids?" she squealed. 

Only she could develop a semi-functional relationship with the FedEx guy. 

The corners of his mouth turned up into a faint smile "Great. June said 'dada' yesterday."

"No way!" Caroline gasped "Do you have a video?"

As sad as it was interrupting the beginning of a beautiful friendship like this, I had to do it.

"The usual?" I asked, sighing. I had been getting flower bouquets all week with political jokes, which I would have appreciated more had they not come with a creepy countdown attached.

"Yep," he says. At this point, even his interest was peaked. "Any idea who it might be?" he asked his eyebrows quirked as he handed me over fresh orchids. 

"No idea, Jimmy," I said grimly. "Unless your order doesn't say anonymous like you said it does," I say, giving him my best withering stare. Trust me, it works. There's a reason I only have 3 friends.

"Hey, don't kill the messenger. Whoever this is, they sure are persistent," he says, pulling up his belt. 

I open the card, skipping the joke and going straight to the number. 

"1" 

So whatever it was, today was the last day. I was expecting some sort of elaborate prank or a stalker to kill me in the locker rooms. At least I go out with a bang.