The Life Worth-Living

Who said life was worth-living?

When your mother pushed you to get a career without you wanting it—and they kept on nagging for the date of your immediate graduation. How could you finish a course that wasn’t near to your heart? Was it still worth-living?

When the only best friend you had betrayed you for having an affair with your boyfriend, was it still worth-living?

When you were on your way to your so-called home and a maniac yielded and raped you, you have no one to accused to because he was a psycho—his crime was dismissed. Was it still worth-living?

When the baby you’ve come to love inside your womb for nine months—the product of the psycho’s crime died on the date of your delivery, was life worth-living?

Believe me, life was worth-living.

[Excerpt from the book ‘The Life Worth-Living’ by Brielle Marco]

“Miss Marco, it was written in your book that after what happened to you, your life was still worth-living?” There was a hint of a mocking smile on the host’s face.

“Yes, my life is worth-living.” The people in the set gasped—a normal reaction whenever she said those words.

“You were forced by your Mum to do what you never wanted and you were deceived by your only best friend. You were raped and got a miscarriage, and now you are telling us that you’re happy with your life?”The host gave her a knowing look—as if he knew her better than she did to herself.

“People might not understand me but I am happy with my life right now, the way it used to be.”Drake critically looked at the woman in front of him.

“What must be the reason for you having this positive outlook in life?”

The lady smiled and reminisced her past. A hurtful past that has gave her too much for a heartbreak but made her stronger through the years.

--

“He’s coming home?” Elle smiled at her mother. The elder blankly looked at her and left after a minute or two—she’s been like this ever since Elle was raped. She believes that Elle’s a dirty woman—a big disappointment to the family.

Elle bitterly laughed knowing that no one will be there for her anymore—not even her Mum.

It was eight in the evening when she heard footsteps towards her room. She tried to look as happy as possible but to her dismay, the guy caught her frowning face.

“Why are you frowning, ugly one?” He smirked. The girl laughed seeing his beautiful face beaming back at her.

“You’re back!” She instantly hugged him and produced a wide smile.

“I’ve been gone for a long time, I’ve heard so much about you. I wish I was there with you. Are you okay?” Elle watched him breathe in his own rhythm and finally, the cry glass inside her eyes got broken. She burst into tears. After everything that happened, no one dared to ask her that question.

“I told you to call me when you need me, but why didn’t you call?”

“There are lots of people who need you more than I do.” Bryle scowled at her ache reached out to hold her hand and looked at her straight to the eye.

“I missed you--”

“Bryle, come here.” She heard her Mom commanded. Bryle gave Elle a peck on the cheek before he followed Mrs. Marco downstairs.