"You're really going to make me do this on my own?"

"Well, what do you want me to do?"

"I don't know, royal advisor! Advise me! Royally! Because Divinity knows I'm going to need it!"

Silence fell heavy for a few moments before James broke it.

"I have an idea."

"I'm all ears."

"Step one, we kill him. Step two, we hide the body. Step three, nobody finds out about it and we get to move on with our lives!"

I couldn't tell if he was joking or not. "Can... can we not do that?" I asked.

James turned to me, regarding me like a scientist does to an anomaly of nature. I felt as if his stare was scrutinizing and meticulously sifting through every single one of my flaws.

"And how exactly did he lose his memory after coming back to life?" He sounded more intrigued than angry.

Thomas didn't respond, and I was more interested about what he had called James a few seconds ago.

"Did you call him a royal advisor a second ago?" I asked Thomas.

Thomas opened his mouth to speak, closed it, and nodded, his eyes focusing elsewhere.

"Yes," James answered. "I am Thomas' royal advisor. It's an over glorified job. My main goal is to make sure this idiot doesn't get himself killed."

"Royal advisor?"

"Yes. That is what I said."

Thomas squeezed his eyes shut. When he opened them, he smiled nervously at me.

"You haven't told him." It sounded more of a statement than a question.

"I haven't exactly had the time."

I know that when you find out your best friend is actually royalty, you're supposed to fall to your knees or whatever, but seeing Thomas' bashfulness at the revelation made me relax in spite of the situation I was in.

"Oh, royalty?" I asked teasingly. "Do I bow, your highness?"

"Actually, you fall to your knees and kiss the ground I walk on, peasant," Thomas said in a mock majesty that sounded like it had been practiced in front of a mirror a couple dozen times.

I couldn't help but laugh, and Thomas' smile was an easy one.

"Eww," James said. "Are you being affectionate towards him?" He pointed towards me with the emphasis on the last word.

Thomas' silence was the only answer he needed.

"Well. I guess people do change," he remarked softly.

When I looked at Thomas for clarification, he shook his head in his usual dismissive way. "Come on, you should meet the others."

"Are they all going to... uhh, yell at me?"

James smiled guiltily.

"I won't let them," Thomas said, shooting James a pointed look. He turned back to me and held out his hand for me to take hold of. I happily complied as he was the only familiar thing in this wretched place, and he led me up the stairs.

"Wait!" James exclaimed. "I want to hold your hand!"

"No." Thomas didn't pause to consider it or even spare him a glance.

"What?" James demanded. "But that isn't fair!"

"Frankly, I couldn't care less."

James grumbled something under his breath but left it at that.