Chapter 13

The music was loud when Alice walked in to the Wyrm, and it deafened her ears. Instantly, she felt unwelcome, all Serpent eyes on her, staring her down like she was a dirty animal. She grabbed FP's hand to reassure herself as they headed towards the bar. Hogeye had his back to them when they got there, Alice sliding onto a stool.

" Hey Hogeye," FP said, placing his hand on Alice's thigh.

" FP, what can I get you?" When Hogeye turned to face them, he looked a little taken aback to see Alice sitting beside his leader.

" Alice Smith. Well this is certainly a surprise. How you doing?"

This surprised Alice. She was expecting Hogeye to feel betrayed by her, just like the other Serpents did. But he was being... nice?

" Um... I'm okay thanks."

" Good, what do you want to drink? Got your favourite tequila in at the moment."

Alice, after receiving a warning glance from FP, shook her head.

" I'm fine with water actually."

" And FP?"

" I'll have a whiskey. Could you open a tab for us?"

" Course."

After nodding his thanks to Hogeye, FP put his arm around Alice's waist.

" You ok? You're being very quiet."

" I just feel really weird coming back here. Everyone hates me. They'll never forgive me."

" Don't be ridiculous. And anyway, if I'm Serpent King that makes you Serpent Queen. So they'll have to listen to you as much as they listen to me."

Hogeye placed their order in front of them as FP leaned in to kiss his girlfriend, who looked a little calmer.

" Yo, FP."

FP turned to find Tall Boy and Thomas Topaz, both sporting their Serpent leather, standing behind him.

" Got some errands to run," Tall Boy said, catching a side glance at Alice.

"Right." FP stood, kissing Alice on the cheek. " Will you be okay for a bit by yourself?"

" Uh," Alice didn't want him to leave her, but from the look on Topaz's face, this was important. " Yeah, I'll be fine."

FP squeezed her arm before leaving her to entertain herself. She sat there, with her glass of water, not sure what to do, until she heard a familiar voice.

" Alice Smith. Honestly, I hoped you were dead."

Spinning around, Alice came face to face with the person she feared she'd come across.

" Penny Peabody. God, I'm surprised FP hasn't kicked you out already."

Penny laughed, sending a chill down Alice's spine.

" And why would he do that? I didn't abandon the Serpents, unlike his bitch of a girlfriend."

Alice's eyes narrowed, wanting to punch her in the face then and there, but Penny hadn't finished.

" You know, when I heard FP had gone back to you, I was shocked. I mean, you left him for Hal Cooper. Yes he's just as fuckable as FP, but FP is so much better at-"

" -Penny, get the fuck away from her."

FP had come back and he was approaching the girls, his face fuming. Penny bit her lip, tilting her head.

" Oh hi there, honey. I was just... welcoming Alice back home." She looked down, muffling her speech. " Its not like any of us wanted her here anyway."

That was the last straw for Alice. She stood up, ready to sock her in her jaw, but FP pulled her back.

" Babe, don't." He placed his hand on her stomach and lowered his voice. " We should go home."

Alice nodded, refusing to look at Penny as she turned to leave. But Alice knew that Penny was smiling from ear to ear at her anger.

As they got into the truck, FP in the passenger seat as Alice didn't trust him after drinking, even if it was only half a whiskey. FP was reluctant to let her drive, but she wouldn't let him say no.

It was silent as they drove home. Neither of them said a word. When Alice was parked up outside the trailer, she unbuckled her seatbelt but didn't get out.

" I'm sorry," she said finally.

" About what?"

" For losing my shit back there."

FP brushed Alice's cheek with his fingers.

" I was just worried that she'd end up hitting you. Or you'd start on her."

Alice sighed.

" I nearly did."

FP opened his door.

" At least we're home now."

Alice smiled and proceeded to get out of the truck.

" What did Tall Boy and Thomas want?"

FP's face suddenly changed. He seemed more nervous, agitated.

" Nothing, just Serpent stuff."

Alice wasn't buying it, but chose not to question him.

" Right."

Walking past the bonnet, FP put an arm around Alice's shoulders.

" Come on, it's cold outside. Let's go in."