Chapter Five: Old Homes, New Homes, and Fifteen Skeletons in the Closet

Start from the beginning

"Listen to Evangeline, unless you feel like dying," a voice said from behind, "it's not a game. James' isn't kidding when he says he'll give you to the zombies." Instead of pushing Chase, the guy picked Chase up at the waist and threw him up over his shoulder. There was no use in fighting. When you decide to walk, I'll put you down, and if you don't annoy me in that time, I'll take the gag off.," he grunted. 

After ten minutes, Chase was put down. The gag was taken out of his mouth, along with the blindfold. The boy looked about eighteen, with choppy blonde hair and blue eyes. "If you struggle, argue, or fight, the gag and blindfold go back in." 

"Why won't you let me go?" Chase said, glaring at him. He raised an eyebrow. 

"He doesn't understand not arguing, does he?" he sighed, glancing at Evangeline. "The names Curtis, by the way," he sighed, glancing back at Chase. "What happened to your wrist?"

"What happened to my question?" he snapped, he no longer recognized where they were, thick trees surrounded them, along with heavily armed tree houses. Almost like a playhouse of death.

"That's it, gags going back on."

"Just tell me where I am and why you won't let me go! I wasn't bugging anyone! I just want to find my family," Chase shouted, Curtis slammed him against a tree.

"Listen, kid, we're saving you, but we can only save you if you do as we say," he snapped, "We all want to find our families, but sometimes we need to open up our eyes and realize, they're probably dead!"

"Curtis!" Evangeline shoved him off Chase. Tears welled up in his eyes. He knew there was a chance Curtis was right. They were probably dead. Curtis stormed away, leaving Chase and Evangeline at the back of the group. A man stalked towards them. 

"Name's James," he grunted, he was short with choppy dirt blonde hair, hazel eyes and a large beard. "Rules are simple here; you do as yer told, when yer told, and don't get cocky, you get cocky and try somethin', then yer zombie food."

Chase debated on telling him to let him go or staying silent. Staying silent won.

"Name?" James asked, Chase remained silent. "Mm, we got ourselves a difficult one, don't we?" Chase stared at the ground, Evangeline nudged him. "Evangeline, take the silent one to the infirmary, get him fixed up, give 'em a tour and bring 'em back to me." Evangeline nodded and grabbed Chase's shoulder, pushing him towards a tent in the far left corner of the camp. 

"What's your name?" she asked gently, she untied his wrists and gestured for him to sit on the ground. She grabbed a first aid bag and sat across from him. Seeing she was getting nowhere with the first question, she moved on. "What did you do? These cuts are pretty deep and your wrist . . ." Chase stared at his blood soaked jeans. She pulled out gauze's,a needle, thread, and thick bandages. A little girl sat in the corner. "Catie, would you mind grabbing me a rag, a bucket of water and some scissors?" she nodded and grabbed the supplies, she sat next to them.

"My name's Catie," she stuck her hand out for Chase to shake, they shook hands. "What's yours?" 

"Chase," he muttered, Evangeline chuckled.

"It talks," she cut the cloth around the scratches on his shoulder. He glared at her.

"What happened to you?" Catie asked, scooting closer to him, she must've been around five.

"I fell out of a tree and hit my leg on a sharp branch, and when I hit the ground, I landed on my wrist funny. And a Vacant scratched my shoulder," Evangeline froze when he finished talking. 

"Is a Vacant like a zombie?" Catie asked, cocking her head to the side. Chase saw his way out. 

"Yes, it's just a different word for them," Evangeline pulled away. 

"Catie, go get Finch," the little girl pouted, but obliged. Her hands were shaking now, she was quickly rubbing down the deep scratch on his shoulder. 

"Why don't you just let me go? I don't want anybodies help! I want to find my family and friends, please just let me go. I'm scratched and I could turn by the end of the night, anyway." Finch and Catie came back in, he was glaring at Chase. 

"Hurry up and patch him up, we'll put him in the cage until I'm convinced he won't zombie out," Finch snapped, "Catie, go find your mom, stay away from here." Catie begrudgingly nodded and scurried out of the room. 

"You're not going to just stick me in a cage like an animal!" Chase shouted, "just let me go, I can handle my injuries myself." He pulled away from Evangeline. He stood up quickly, ignoring the sudden wave of dizziness. Black spots danced in his eyes. He started towards the opening of the tent. His head felt like it was splitting. 

He could faintly hear the others talking around him, someone grabbed his shoulders. He began throwing up. 

"He's beginning to change, chain him up." 

Aye, so once again I've been uber busy and unable to write, but thankfully, I had a snow day today *screeches* and literally spent the entire day writing. I would put a more special note in here, but my power is beginning to flicker and I must finish and post the rest of my chapters