Untitled Part 23

Oliver glanced at John and having heard their words, John nodded knowing what Oliver was asking. He wanted to use his office. He led his father down the hallway and stepping inside closed the door behind him. Nervous energy was pouring out of him and he couldn't sit, so he paced before turning to face his father.

"Dad, are you proud of me?" Oliver asked hesitantly.

Robert looked at him in surprise. "Why ever would you ask that Oliver? Of course, I am proud of you."

"Really? Because I don't feel like you are." Oliver said looking at him with a mixture of sadness and resignation. "Every fight that I have ever fought you have had something to criticize. It's never been something good to say it's always been improve this or work on that. And when I had my accident I almost got the impression that you were glad I might not be able to fight again."

Robert's breath caught as his son spoke.

"Every single time you visited me in rehab I kept hoping and praying that I would get one word of encouragement, one word of you can do this Oliver. I just wanted to hear you say once that you felt I would fight again."

Robert let out a deep sigh and sank into the chair behind him. He knew he had been hard on Oliver over the years and he had been critical in some ways. But he always had the best intentions. He was starting to realize just how detrimental that tactic had been. Moira had voiced it the night before and now he heard it in his son's voice and could see it in his face.

"Oh Oliver. I am so very sorry." Robert said with a sigh, looking down. He could not look at him right now. "I have always been so very proud of you, of the man you have become. And when you told me you were going to fight again one day, I cannot tell you the pride I felt in my chest." Robert stood and looked Oliver in the eyes. "I guess a part of me felt that I had forced you to become a fighter. That there might have been something else you wanted to do and I stopped that. All I have ever wanted was for you to do what you wanted to do and be happy doing it."

"But I AM happy Dad. I have always been happy fighting. It has always been what I have wanted to do. From the first moment I saw you fight. I was so proud. That was MY Dad up there. I knew I wanted to be just like you." Oliver said, his emotions evident in his voice.

Robert rubbed a hand across his face. "I always had guilt in my chest that I did not follow in my father's footsteps. I am so sorry if I projected that onto you."

Robert placed both of his hands-on Oliver's shoulders. "I love you so very much son. And I am prouder of you than you will ever know."

Oliver looked into Robert's eyes and he could see the sincerity and the love that was there.

"You my son are going to be an even greater fighter than I ever hoped to be, and I will be in the front seat of every single fight cheering you on." Robert smiled and pulled Oliver into a hug. Oliver held his father close for the first time in a long time.

"Thank you, Dad. It means so much to hear you say that."

"I love you son." Robert said.

"I love you too Dad."

***

Oliver and Felicity arrived at the venue for the exhibition fight with Yoel Romero and grabbing their badges headed to the changing room. Oliver had a brief picture session and interview with MAA Magazine so he rushed into the dressing room to change while Felicity checked her phone to find out where they needed to go for the session. Curtis had spoken with the magazine about the interview so she wanted to make sure everything was as she had asked. Oliver walked out of the dressing room and giving her a kiss, they headed down the hall to the interview.