Chapter 7 - Embrace

The announcement came unexpectedly, the simple piece of paper that would change everything for my future. A single line, that started the same way for all of the successful applicants.

Dear Miss Page,

We are pleased to announce that you have been accepted onto the Biology course starting in September with a full scholarship. Congratulations!

My parents were so proud, my mom squeezing me into a tight hug while my dad patted me on the back in congratulations. Jordan was so pleased for me, throwing me around in his arms and telling everybody that he knew that I had been accepted. He had been accepted into Stanford himself on a full football scholarship, practically jumping around in excitement that his dream had finally come true.

I was so proud of him.

I yawned as I filled my glass up, sighing softly and watching everyone around me party.

Our parents decided to throw a celebration party the week before we were due to leave, which would also be classed as a goodbye party, for us to finally fly the nest. Part of me was terrified to experience all of the new things and that I would find it too difficult, but the other part of me was glad to finally get away from everything.

Well, maybe just one thing in particular.

"Congratulations for getting accepted into Princeton, I knew you could do it" Corbin's voice came from behind me and my shoulders immediately tensed, butterflies instantly swarming into my stomach violently.

I turned around slowly, sighing softly and crossing my arms over my chest.

"Thank you" my voice was quiet. "Congrats to you too, I'm sure you're happy."

His smile was tight and he looked down for a moment. "Yeah, I guess."

"Enjoy the party" I blurted awkwardly in a hopes to escape but he caught my arm gently as I went to leave.

"Can we talk, in private?" he muttered, glancing over at Jordan who was talking to my parents and their friends, showing them the acceptance letter with great pride.

I gulped at the feeling of his warm hand on my skin and nodded hesitantly, leading him to the hallway by my bedroom. It was secluded enough but I did not want Jordan to somehow catch his best friend alone with me in my room, that would cause him to have a heart attack.

"Biology, huh?" he asked with a raised eyebrow and I frowned.

"What is so wrong with biology?" I rolled my eyes, "can't I just like science in general?"

He simply shrugged before continuing on in a strange polite tone, "You excited to go?"

"A little scared" I confessed softly, "but I'm sure I'll survive. Now, can we get onto the real topic because you're making me feel more awkward than I should feel."

He sighed, rubbing his face roughly before his tired icy blue eyes met mine. "Look, I just don't want things to be weird between us. I know that you want to forget what happened  but it isn't something that I can just shove under the rug. I just want the awkwardness between us to go, is that okay?"

I crossed my arms over my chest, "We have always had awkwardness between us."

"I guess" he chuckled but then he frowned slightly. "So we can stop avoiding each other?"

"I wasn't ignoring you" I defended, frowning, "you lied to me. You still haven't told me why, you know. You told me that Jordan was watching at that party and he wasn't...why?"

His eyes turned slightly panicked and he looked away sharply, "I don't want to talk about that right now, Clara. It isn't important, okay?"

"Okay" I sighed reluctantly and then my face fell as I cleared my throat, "besides...it isn't like we will see each other for much longer anyway. Remember?"