"Hmm what's going on," I asked, while standing at the door.

"Nothing mama," The girls said simultaneously.

"Imad," I said his name and he looked at me.

"Hey! Don't look at me. I am just playing on my IPad," He replied.

"Did everyone finish their greens?" I asked in a stern voice.

"I did," Amal raised her hand. Anisa kept quiet.

"Yeah I did," Imad said and briefly glanced at Anisa.

"Anisa," I said her name

"No mum I didn't finish my greens," She admitted.

"Thank you for being honest with me," I told her. "Tomorrow you'll have to eat more greens, to make up for the ones you didn't eat today,"

"But mama!" She whined, and pouted. Aw she's an angle, but I being a parent I have to be immune to her cuteness. Or otherwise, they would be having Macdonalds everyday.

"You know the rules," I said and walked away. I went into my bedroom and sat on the edge of the bed. I took my phone that was on the bedpost, and texted Ahmed. Hoping he will eventually reply to my messages. Where are you Ahmed? I lay down on the bed and decided to text Hudaa, greeting her.

She's probably busy now. Given the time difference, she's probably having dinner. I closed my eyes and reset for a while. So much has changed, I can't believe it's been five years. My babies are turning four years old. And Imad is eleven, oh I can't believe how much time has passed. He's eleven years old. Subhanallah.
Ahmed and I decided to move to London, after his mum died. Madam Samia died after a year later after the twins were born. I am glad she got to hold her grandchildren. Ahmed completely shut off after her death, couldn't eat or drink nor sleep well. Ahmed felt it was best to move to another place, so we had to make a home in London. We moved in when the twins were three years old. The house I was to design, our home — is based in California. I tried to made it work, gave in my ideas and made some blueprints. But it's on hold for now.

For a while it wasn't the same between us - Ahmed and I. The talks were brief and the silence prolonged. He started opening up to me after some time... But he never let his sorrows affect his relationship with his children, never. He was always there for them, no matter the pain he was feeling.

Ahmed has been gone for three weeks, the longest trip he's ever been on. I miss him so much, and I know the kids miss him just as much. Ahmed is great with the kids, he actually attends the girls tea parties and plays video games for an hour with Imad. And on every Sunday, we go for a picnic at the park — as a family. But we only go when we are all together. I miss my husband so much. I miss his soothing voice and warm hugs. When he's away I have to take up his roles in the house as well.

Take the kids to school, help out with homework (it's so much easier when he's helping Imad and I help the twins - team work). Grocery shopping is so much more fun when he's around, making up games for the kids to play so they don't get bored. We tried our best to make a normal life for our children and not to spoil them, no matter how tempting it may be.

"Mama," I heard Anisa call out, as she slowly pushed the door open. I sat upright and watched her walk to me.

"What's wrong princess?" I asked her.