Chapter 31 - End of Book 1

It had been two months since we came back from Germany. So many changes had happened in my life but I was loving it. There was only one missing - Marydale, in my home, 24/7.

And our wedding, of course, which would happen in less than two years to date.

Looking back, I was very thankful that Marydale came into my life. The monotony of my life had improved into something better. Everyday, I was looking forward to what was in store for us, for me. And knowing Marydale, she had so many surprises up her sleeves, all good ones, and I was looking forward to them everyday.

Tonight, it's my turn to surprise her. I would be asking her to move in with me. I grew tired of waking up in the middle of the night reaching for someone who wasn't there. Sure, we got to sleep over at my place, sometimes, at hers, but it was no longer working for me.

Since I did everything with Marydale in reverse, I wanted to do this traditionally, over a candlelit dinner, good food and finest wine and, romantic music. Thanks to my friend Marco, I had executed my dinner date plan slash moving-in proposal to a T. The only one left missing was my date. She was late. And she was never late in her life.

I looked at the time again. It was half an hour past our dinner date. I was beginning to get anxious. I didn't want to think that threats on my life had extended to hers now that our engagement was made public.

I couldn't stop that nagging feeling so I tried to call her. She was not answering. Next, I immediately called her apartment and Manang told me that she left less than an hour ago. The travel would only take about ten minutes from her place notwithstanding the traffic. And there was no traffic. I checked.

I tried to call her again but I only got this:

"The number you're calling is either unattended or out of coverage area. Please try again later."

I thought of Pat and called her at her office number, the same office number of Marydale's.

"What did you mean she's not there yet? Nag-half day lang si Marydale. Na-try mo na ba si Manang?"

"Yup. She is not there, too. She left her place about an hour ago. She should be here by now."

"What?! Nasaan na si Marydale? Tinawagan mo na ba siya?"

"Yes. She is not answering her phone."

"Oh my God, where is she?!"