Chapter One

Two weeks into the new semester, and my chest is already tight. For as long as I could remember, the start of new semesters always had a way of weighing down on my shoulders.

Rain pours outside of the classroom as I attempted to keep my eyes open while taking notes. Of course, I had forgotten my umbrella and was nearly soaked trekking across campus to White Hall. I had to purchase an overpriced umbrella from the campus bookstore, and I grew uncomfortable when I peeled out of my jacket.

Winter was already my least favorite season but add rain and I hated it even more.

I can barely keep up with Dr. Ingram's explanation of monopsonies as she rapidly clicks through the PowerPoint. Dr. Ingram had been a highly recommended professor for History Colloquia, but everyone failed to mention how she clicked through her lecture like she had to put out a fire before class was over. My fingers moved rapidly over the keyboard of my laptop when the lights suddenly flick on.

"If anyone has any questions about today's lecture, feel free to stop by my office."

There's a collective sigh as she turns off the projector, and students stretch their limbs. The blonde beside me sucked her teeth and shook out her hand – she'd been rapidly taking notes in her notebook the entire period, mumbling obscenities under her breath when the slide was changed.

"That woman is a psychopath," a curly haired male speaks to his friend while closing his own laptop. "Two weeks in and a fourth of my planner is filled with her assignments. I have four other courses to worry about."

My fingers hovered over the keyboard as I attempted to appear as though I wasn't eavesdropping. "I'm going to have carpel tunnel by the end of the week," his friend complained.

The class started with about one hundred students, but I slowly started seeing seats remain unfilled as the course went on. Now there was only about sixty of us – I wish I had the luxury of dropping classes willy-nilly, but this was my last semester of college and I didn't need to cause any problems.

When I'm nearly the last student left, I packed up my things, slipped back into my somewhat dried jacket, and slung on my backpack. I made my way across campus and towards the cafeteria, in desperate need of a pick me up.

Rain was never a forecast meant for daylight hours when people had things to do. I could hear horns in the distance as drivers grew frustrated with the thick traffic, and ill-prepared students rushed around to get out of the rain. I held the flimsy umbrella above my head as I walked across campus, but a body barreled into me. I was ready to yell when I realized it was Jane, who had her heard covered by the hood on her bright yellow raincoat.

"I just got a perm and this rain has ruined it!" She pouted dramatically.

"I will never understand why you get perms anyway. You end up changing your hair in a week."

Jane's hair often fit her personality – currently, it was a fresh rose gold. By next week, she'd have a new color and complaining about it getting messed up by some other form of weather. She pushed off her hood and let out an exasperated groan.

"Let me be dramatic for once in your life, Eliza." Jane looped her arm around my own to remain under the umbrella. "I didn't dye my hair just for Mother Nature to get pissed and throw a hissy fit."

I must stifle a laugh as we finally get to the university center. We swipe our IDs and head into the dining hall, parting ways for a moment as we get our food and meet at a table. I stabbed at my salad for a second as Jane sipped her coffee and spoke up.