8. facing a tiger

Start from the beginning

"Oh, Han Qing An." Shui Hui Yin smiled, her grin sickly and foul. "I knew I made the right choice choosing you when I found you that day in Court Official Huang's bed."

"Yes mistress," Han Qing An replied, bowing low to Shui Hui Yin. "This servant is in your debt forever." 

***

"Hmm, tell me Hong Huo, when is Chang Sheng coming home?" 

Hong Huo stared back at Yu Hua. 

The two of them were lying in the garden, with Hong Huo raised high above Yu Hua. Yu Hua stared at Hong Huo, grinning. They laid like that for another few minutes, before Yu Hua's thoughts began to drift. 

"Do you think Chang Sheng and I will have a baby soon?" Yu Hua murmured. 

Hong Huo's ears perked up (literally, because Hong Huo is a bunny) and he turned towards Yu Hua with interest.

"A - ah - I mean, just out of curiosity -" Yu Hua blushed hard, looking away. "You know Hong Huo - forget it!" 

Hong Huo rolled his bunny eyes. 

"Empress," the female guard bowed politely to Yu Hua. 

"Ah, yes?" Yu Hua jumped up quickly. His hair originally done with intricate twists and folds had been messed up from lying in the grass. He scratched his head bashfully while trying to balance Hong Huo in his arms. 

"I think it's time that we introduce ourselves properly," the maid said. "I am Li Peng," she bowed again. "The leader of the troop that protects you."

The troop included Feng Hong, a cheerful looking girl with two long twin braids. Zhou Mu, a quiet and calm sounding guard. Jia Dong, who seemed charismatic and trustworthy. Shen Huang, a dutiful and loyal young girl, and Chen Wang, a young lady who swept into an elegant bow in front of Yu Hua.  

"We are pleased to serve you," Chen Wang said. 

"Thank you," Yu Hua replied earnestly to every one of them. 

"Of course, Empress." Li Peng said. 

Yu Hua smiled brilliantly back at her. 

"It's lovely to have such a charming and pleasant Empress as you!" Feng Hong exclaimed. "The previous Empress was so gloomy and depressing, she -"

"Feng Hong!" Li Peng barked. Feng Hong closed her mouth, and shrunk back, lips pressed tightly together. 

"Ah," Yu Hua said nervously, trying to dissipate some of the tension in the air. "Thank you, Feng Hong." 

Feng Hong grinned at Yu Hua in response. 

"How old are you?" Yu Hua asked the young girl. 

"Sixteen." Feng Hong replied, her braids swishing with every movement. 

"Ah," Yu Hua nodded. 

"My birthday's in May," Feng Hong added. Yu Hua smiled gently at her, and patted her head softly. 

"We'll have to get you a birthday present, then." 

Feng Hong gleamed back at him. 

"Oh, Li Peng." Yu Hua raised his head. 

"Yes, Empress?" Li Peng looked up. 

"Is there a library I can visit?"

Li Peng seemed rather surprised, but nodded slowly. "Of course, Empress. Right this way. Would you prefer the Emperor's private library or the library of the palace?"