66. Beltane Part 12: The Horned God Plans His Final Hunt

शुरू से प्रारंभ करें:

"By-gones," I say and he smiles benevolently, in that new princely way of his. It's not at all obnoxious, like the old Finn's smile.

He stands behind Sean, a hand on his shoulder. After a while Sean's whispered prayers cease, he gives Finn a nod.

"Thanks, brother."

"Come on, man. Let's take a walk," Finn says, and leads Sean away. Which leaves Lana and I to make preparations for Cerridwen.

In my old life, I had lesser priests for these kinds of rites, but I am honored to prepare Cerridwen. I just don't know what we are preparing her for. I can't accept that she's truly gone. I am wracking my witch brain for some magic that might work, but it is beyond me to resurrect a god. Lana and I do all that we can for her, short of restoring her life. We raise energy and repair flesh. Her wounds are gone; her body perfect, except for the lack of life within it. It's all that we can do. It's for Cernunnos, as much as for her memory. Seeing the marks of violence upon her is too much for him. When he returns for the final rites, I hope it will be easier for him to bear.

We don't know what to do with her cloak of immortality. When she died, all the shimmer and light went out of it. Now, its a flimsy thing that seems more like a giant silky spiderweb than anything else. Both Lana and I agree it's the most fitting shroud, but we are loathe to cover her in it until Cernunnos comes. He will want to see her face. She is so serene and beautiful. Even I am moved to tears by the sight of her lifeless, perfect form. She looks so young and fragile. Unbelievable that this girl is twelve thousand years old.

Finally Cernunnos and Sucellus come. Cernunnos is calm, in clean jeans and boots. Stripped to the waist. No godly glow through his scars or his eyes, but the torchlight reflects on his ebony horns.

He stands for a long time, a hand hovering near her cheek. I know him, and I understand that he's warring with himself. He wants to touch her, but he doesn't think he can bear the coolness of her skin. Finally, he squeezes his fist closed and kneels in the exact spot Sean had prayed to her. His horns angle over Cerridwen's small, still frame as he bows his head on his hands and closes his eyes.

"Leave us," he commands. Sucellus and Lana and I fade into the forest.

We wait. Hours pass. Twilight falls. Cernunnos does not move. Not once. His promise to hunt Mercury at nightfall is apparently forgotten. Sean and Finn return. We wait again, in silence. This is not a wake, nor a ritual, not yet. This is a refusal on Cernunnos part to leave her body.

I rise. "The longer this goes on, the more he will despair. He must act. If he won't do it on his own, we must make him."

Sean grabs my hand, his eyes filled concern for me. "He's not himself, Dru. Don't anger him."

"I'll be fine."

I move slowly into the ritual space and stand well back. Cernunnos scents me. His shoulders tense. He says nothing.

I wait for his shoulders to ease. "What will you have us do, my Lord?"

"Leave me be."

"Until dawn then?"

"Until I say so."

I do not move.

"Leave me be," he says again.

"What will you do, my Lord?" I ask.

"I will hunt Mercury. And then I will hunt Cerridwen."

"Hunt her?" I ask carefully.

"She is...somewhere. People come back. You came back. I came back. There is somewhere to come back from. I think I wasn't ever aware there when I died, because only half of my soul was there. Which means, she is in limbo now, too. But if we are both ...there...our soul may become aware of one another. If there is a somewhere, then I can hunt her there."

"How can you be sure, my Lord?" I don't say the obvious. There is nothing to hunt. Her body is here.

"The soul has a scent. It must, for there is something...missing now. I am searching my scent memories of her, and sorting the scent of her soul from what is left now. So I ask you again, Dru, leave me be. You are disturbing the air, and I don't have much time. She will...she will..."

He can't say the words. She will soon start to smell differently. I quickly seek another question to distract his mind.

"Cernunnos, how will you get...there?"

His bowed head never moves. "The same way I got there ten thousand times before."

"Cernunnos, no. We love you. We need you. There is no one here who will end your life for you to put you there—"

"I will," a voice says. Sucellus has joined us. "If it's what you must do, Nuno. Of course, I will."

Cernunnos doesn't even look up. "Thank you, old friend. Leave me, now."

Sucellus drags me firmly away to rejoin the others.

A/N: Ahhh, what do you think of Cernunnos' plan? Will he have to die to find Cerridwen? Is there any other way? Do you think his loyal followers are going to accept his decision or fight him?

Please consider voting, sharing, commenting. I'd really love to hear from you! Thanks!

Hooked  [Complete]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें