23. Loving Goodbye

Start from the beginning

Mr. Burn's footsteps thundered behind them, but soon quieted to soft, distant thumps as if he slowed to a walk. Naomi was about to look back, but Val shook her head and nudged Naomi forward. Student artwork hung in glass frames on either side of the hall. Sketches of celebrities. Paintings of dragons. Inked drawings of fruits. The girls huffed and took one final turn. They saw the side exit at the bottom of the south stairwell. They pushed on the red doors and were greeted by a blast of frigid air. Wind numbed their exposed skin. Val took her jacket from Naomi and put it on, slipping the buttons into place. She shoved her hands into the pockets with a grateful sigh. There was love in the slight lowering of her brows and subtle smile. She bumped her shoulder into Naomi's. "Ready to run again?" Val asked. Her cheeks were tinged red from their workout, but she was poised to run, her eyes were lit with the burning flames of life.

Val's voice took Naomi by surprise. Naomi couldn't believe how much she had missed it. Naomi sighed. "I really don't want to run across the snow. And I'm pretty sure we lost him."

The girls looked across the white wasteland. Cars shuffled through blackened sludge in the parking lot. Snow piled high where grass met the pavement. It was a dreary day plagued by dark grey clouds and the vacancy of animals. The birds were missing and so were the squirrels that hurried around the land during autumn, summer and spring. The cold seemed to penetrate their jackets and coat their flesh in its icy embrace.

Val walked backwards and told Naomi, "Well, Johnson, there are two things that can happen- you can move slow and get caught by your lonesome self, or you can run away with me and we can escape together."

"Escape where?"

"Anywhere. It's not everyday that prisoners get to break out of Alcatraz. Why not have some fun while we're at it." A mischievous smile played on Val's lips.

Naomi felt that Mr. Burns might have gathered others to look for the two escapees. She cursed herself for what she was about to do. She kicked off across the field of untouched white. Snow flipped into the cuff of her boots and melted on her skin. Val dashed ahead of her, consistently scanning their surroundings to make sure there weren't being watched. Naomi met Val at the edge of the sidewalk around the corner of the parking lot, waiting for the pedestrian crossing light to flash to a walking man. There were no teachers screaming at them and Naomi felt that they had safely escaped. The tension left her muscles and she risked a glance at her partner in crime.

The day's events shocked Naomi. She hadn't expected Val to show up, or risk getting in trouble to bust Naomi out of hell. Naomi looped her arm around Val's and pressed herself against Val's side.

Val's smile was quickly replaced by a cool, confident look and they safely crossed the street. Naomi couldn't help the grin that formed on her own lips. She felt that there was a good chance that Val had learned to love herself enough to not feel ashamed by their intimacy.

****

Usually, when one was cold, they wouldn't go to a location that would make them colder. But Naomi found herself and Val in a park. There was a circle of ice above a sheet of snow. She tried to coax Val over to it, but Val shook her head vehemently. "I don't skate," said Val.

"It'll be fun," Naomi said, but Val wouldn't budge. Naomi pouted, knowing Val was weak against that.

Val closed both eyes and said, "No means no." Half-smiling, she opened her eyes and sat on the snow and crossed her legs on it. She pulled Naomi ontop of her and held Naomi in her lap. She pressed her head against Naomi's back. "Did you miss me?" Val asked, reaching around Naomi's sides to hold her hands.

"Not at all," Naomi joked.

Val laughed softly. "I missed you more than I thought was ever possible."

"Can I ask you something?" Naomi said.

"Shoot."

"Was it worth it? Was all this worth being away from me?"

Val fell silent and the seconds ticked away as she thought of an answer. She said, "I was starting to lose myself and I didn't know how to handle the intense emotions that swelled within me. I'm no better at handling them now, but I understand why I feel a certain way and I accept that which I cannot change. If I were with you, I wouldn't have been able to look inward and focus on myself. I would have used you as a distraction. I would have ended up hurting you."

Naomi released a slow breath, growing colder, but not complaining. She was glad to be in Val's company. She changed how she sat so they were sitting face to face. Her knees grew wet, resting in the snow off to the side of Val's thighs. There was a gentle yet sorry look on Val's face. Naomi gathered snow in her palm and smeared it across Val's nose, forehead, spreading it in every direction till Val's face was covered in a light dust. Val cracked, breaking out into a big grin, losing some of her serious appearance. Naomi brushed the snow from Val's eyes and pressed her lips against Val's cold ones. She kissed Val and Val kissed her back. She pushed Val down in the snow and kissed her harder. As they parted, Val's teeth lightly grazed Naomi's bottom lip. In the following silence, Naomi sat on Val's thighs. They held each other's gaze, staring but not speaking. Finally, Naomi took Val's hand and said, "Don't leave me again. Anything we go through from this point on. We go through together. Promise me?"

Val promised then said, "Get off me, my head's getting cold."

Naomi stayed put. Val swiftly grabbed Naomi's sides, kicked her legs and flipped Naomi beneath her. She pressed a handful of snow against Naomi's face. It melted quickly, sending wet streaks down her chin and neck. Naomi's curly locks fanned out around her head in a sort of halo. Val grinned. "Got you back."

Val got up and started to retreat towards the surrounding pine trees. Naomi rolled a tight ball of snow and ordered, "Don't run."

"I won't run if you call a truce," Val wagered.

Naomi smirked. "What makes you think I'll do that, asshole?" Naomi broke into a sprint. She launched the ball. Val ducked, and it sailed over her head.

Val gathered ammo. She fired not once but twice with surprising accuracy. One hit Naomi on her right side, the other shattered on a nearby tree bark. Naomi gaped.

The girls laughed and dipped down the make more balls. Naomi smiled, forgetting the cold and her damp clothes. She watched Val twirl and run sideways. This was the Val she knew and loved. She would never abandon her for anything the world offered.

***