A small cough filled the air and everyone’s eyes went to Lance's mother, her eyes directed towards her daughter, avoiding how her she was holding another woman's hand. “So Cam is this your roommate?”  

Lance could feel the eye roll before the two girls even executed it. Camillia opened her mouth to respond yet her soulmate cut in. “Awe no we’re not roommates, you see Camillia is my master and I’m her mistress, I have to listen to everything she says,” she winked at the women and Lance nearly laughed when he saw how pale his mother had become.

Camillia stifled a giggle and Ashley gave her a small wink. A grunt of annoyance filled the room and all eyes fell on the older man. Nobody said anything and Lance began to tap his foot in annoyance. “Yes, Satan?”

“Is that any way to talk to your father Lance?!?!” His mother sounded shocked and Lance responded with a very similar eyeroll.

His father placed his hand on his wife’s leg and looked towards the tanner boy, “remember what I said about respect, Lance?” His voice held almost no emotion and it floated around the room like dust.

Lance released a huff of air, turning his eyes towards the man he once believed was his father, “I also remember you promising all of us that you would protect us and you know, not kick us out because of something we can’t control.”

“You and your sister are both faggots and we will not tolerate that in my house. We live by the word of the lord, an-” He was cut off by Ashley breaking out into chuckles and slapping her knee with her hand.

“Oh my goodness, I can’t believe that you two had to put up with this complete bullshit, how did you survive?”

Camillia shook her head, a small smile forming on her face, “lots and lots of lies.”

Lance watched her mother nudge his father and mumble something into his ear, the older man nodding in response. He shifted his body away from Camillia and Ashley and stared Lance straight in the eye, “you need to come home with us.”

“And why would I do that? That’s like running back into a burning building because you left the kettle on.” Lance leaned forward, his elbows resting on his knees.  He didn’t know where this burst of confidence sprung from, maybe it was fear or anger but Lance was going to use as much of it as he possibly could. He wasn’t going to crack, well not in front of them.

“Because we are your parents and we found this lovely girl for you. She was put in a ‘changing’ program as they called it,” she released a nervous laugh and Lance felt bile burn the back of his throat. “Her soulmate was another female so in order to fix her she needs to find a man to be with, that could be you, Lance!” She seemed a bit too excited and Lance quickly glanced at his sister who looked like she just listened to the dumbest thing ever. His mother lowered his eyes and mumbled the next sentence, thinking nobody heard her, “your father and I discussed this before you went with that thing.”

“She’s perfect for you Lance, long red hair, tall, but not as tall as you. She adores space and stars and she likes musicals just like you do…” His father began to trail off and Lance felt pain move into his palms, his nails digging into his skin.