Tristana nodded almost as if to herself. “Now, these clubs are very important, as every one of them teaches you skills that you might find useful when you grow older, and they might even help you obtain work in certain fields. A-are there any questions?” she asked quite suddenly. “I only have time for a few before I have to move on. There are a lot of students in this school!”

One of the airhead sisters behind me raised her hand and Tristana nodded at her. “Um, Your Majesty, Miss Seriah,” she began before the principal giggled into her hand and interrupted her.

“Please, call me Trist, or, if you insist, Principal or just Miss Seriah.”

More oohs and ahhs. “So, um, Miss Seriah, are you part of any clubs?”

What a stupid question.

“Why, yes, I am!”

Nevermind.

She touched the epaulet on her suit in which the school’s crest was marked. Beneath that were three smaller emblems that she pointed to in turn. “This one’s the club exclusively made for the City Council. This one’s the City Guard, though I’m only an honorary member, and this one"—she pointed to the last—"is the Bibliophile club! One of my favourites!”

Another raised his hand. “Miss, is it possible to increase your level?”

Finally! An intelligent question from the class of doorknobs; I, of course, exempt myself from that. My ears perked, and my attention was entirely given over to staring at the principal's eyes.

“Of course it’s possible. In fact, I expect most every student will increase a level or maybe two before they’re done with school! You simply need to study how the level system works to see that. Are there any more questions?”

We squirmed in our seats and bit our lips, not thinking of anything exceptionally intelligent to ask.

“Perfect! Then I might actually be running a little bit ahead of schedule. After class—which will end early today—you will be invited to browse the school’s fine selection of clubs. Oh, and your homeroom teacher will hand out leaflets with a few details on each club. There’re many to choose from, but I suggest that you pick rapidly as some will fill up early.”

She nodded to us, smiled again, then turned and trotted away, breathing a sigh of relief as she exited the classroom. The rest of the students sighed too, as if a strong, oppressive pressure had just been removed from over us.

Right, so school clubs. A novel idea. And one that I can kinda agree with, or would, were I not at the bottom of the pyramid. Actually, it’s not a pyramid, more like a right triangle with the hypotenuse running along the edge of the X-axis and the widest angle hovering over the mark of three, assuming that you mark the X-Axis from one to 12 based on the amount of levels and the Y-axis represents total student population. Basically, there are more level twos and threes than there are level ones.

Being at the bottom probably meant that even if we were great in school, our chances to level up were slim to none. But there was a chance, right? Everyone needs a reason to try hard.

When the bell rang I was the first out of class, one of the booklets given to us by the teacher hovering at my side (I managed to levitate something! Woo!). The crowds of school-drones walking around drew my attention, or rather, instead of ignoring them as I’m apt to do, I paid a bit more attention to their breasts right below the school emblem. Not that I don’t give ample attention to any passing pair of breasts.

A few of them already had little logos printed there. Bows for the Archery club, a rook for the Chess club, an open book for the Writer’s group. It was easy to see how being part of one group might change your position on the social hierarchy in this fine establishment. So, like any reasonable person, I found a place to stop and rest while perusing the list.