Chapter 2 ~ Babysitting and a second visit to the club

Start from the beginning

I was twenty and had moved out of my parents place two years ago. It was simply luck on her part that I hadn't moved further away or else she would have had to cancel her 'very-important book club meeting' as she had put it when I asked. Sometimes even I could be nice though so I had agreed to her request and now I was playing caretaker for the day.

Lily wasn't my real sister, she was adopted by my parents as an infant because after me my mother couldn't have any more children of her own. That's why there was quite a gap between my sister and me in age but it hardly mattered. I considered Lily my blood-related sister and she was too young to consider us anything other than her family.

"Paish I want to go see the animals!" Lily suddenly exclaimed as we walked down the street, her little hand firmly held in mine. No one could say I didn't take my babysitting duties seriously. I didn't answer at first, still amused over the fact that she couldn't say 'r' and therefor couldn't pronounce my name right and making it sound more like 'Pa-i-sh'. It was adorable even for her.

"Hm... okay, we'll go." I finally answered with a tired sigh, making Lily squeal in happiness beside me. She loved animals and she always nagged our parents about going to the zoo. I guess I was doing them yet another favor in bringing her there. They would owe me big time for this.

When we arrived at the zoo I payed for our tickets and we went about running around the park the rest of the day. We saw a few of the animals but since it was January most of them were hiding inside. I only managed to convince Lily to take a pause when it was time for lunch and even then we were up and running again less than twenty minutes after we had sat down. I never knew taking care of a four-year old could be so tiring. I mean her energy was even surpassing mine and that's saying a lot!

"Okay little energy-monster after we've checked out the tigers we're heading home." I finally said, the clock on my mobile phone showing that it was already five o'clock. When Lily didn't answer I frowned and gave her a serious look.

"You hear me Lily? No more zoo for the day." I stated, looking at her as she pouted up at me.

Seriously she was even better than me at making that face.

After a few minutes of simply staring at her she finally nodded and I gave her hair a slight ruffle. The little brat swatted at my hand and literally started running away from me. I immediately gave chase, thinking that it wouldn't be wise to loose her inside the park since she could go tumbling down into one of the animal cages. Dammit she was fast!

I could see her zig-zag between people in front of us as she kept running with me at her heels. When we reached the part of the park where the tigers were kept she came to a stop though and I sighed in relief as I snatched her hand up in mine.

"I'm never letting go of this hand again, you hear me?" I muttered, not bothering to even reprimand her for running away so carelessly. She didn't understand it either way so what was the purpose? I wasn't raising a child here I was simply keeping an eye on her until our mother could take the responsibility back again.

We spent the last fifteen minutes at the park looking at the tigers and I couldn't help but laugh as Lily referred to them as 'kittens'. Well technically they were just big cats so I guess she was half-right about that.

When we left the zoo Lily was beginning to loose her energy and with a sigh I leaned down and picked her up. I carried her all the way back to where I was supposed to meet up with our mother and while I walked my sister fell asleep in my arms. I looked down on her as she nuzzled her face into the side of my neck and sighed as I kept walking. She could be a bit tiring to be with but at the end of the day it was still worth it. I loved the cute little snores that left her mouth as she slept and I knew I couldn't wish for a more adorable little sister.