s e v e n

"It's beautiful," I say surprisingly.

"The last time I came was a few years ago. I've been waiting for the right person to come with and I finally found that person."

"Oh, really?" I ask.

She nods her head and smiles, leading me into the festival that's open before the parade begins.

"It's actually really nice, Christmas and all."

"Christmas is a spectacular holiday, I hope that you can agree with me someday."

I ignore my uneasy feeling and I say, "someday."

  "I'll be waiting for that day."

  We go around the festival stands and she buys me popcorn to eat while we wait for the parade to commence.

"It's starting!" Stella excitedly tells me and she points to the growing crowd of people that are surrounding the floats.

"There are a lot of people," I notice.

"Yes, but they're not getting on the floats."

"Did you—"

"Yes," she responds before I can even finish.

"Stella..."

"It's only the float with the Christmas tree! Please, Scarlet. I promise that you won't regret this. It took a lot of persuading and bribing the parade organizers to give us this chance."

"Fine. Only because this means a lot to you and you put a lot of work into it."

"Thank you."

  She leads me to the float where she talks with a few of the organizers and finally, we get on the platform of the float. There are several other people already on and a few greet us with kind smiles.

"It should be starting in a few minutes," she assures me.

  "I can't wait."

"You don't have to lie to me."

  "I'm not. I can't wait because it means I can spend time with you."

  She smiles in response and takes my hand, sending a warm feeling to my heart. A staff member announces that the floats are going to start moving in a moment and some people sit down, looking at the others that are waiting at the gate while some stand, anxious for the parade to begin. Stella is one of those people and while her cheeks are rosy from the cold, she still warmly holds my hand.

The floats begin to move and I watch in delight at the people cheering on. I admire the other floats that are decorated nicely and I begin to admire Christmas in general.

How can I hate this holiday?

"Stella. I think you've done it."

"Done what?" She asks.

"I like Christmas. This parade... it's made me realize that Christmas is about love and even though my mother isn't here to give me that, I shouldn't hate on the holiday."

"You hated Christmas because of your mother?"

"Yes, she died in an accident a few years ago on Christmas. It ruined my perspective but you, you fixed it. Thank you, Stella."

"I'm thankful that you could grow and move on from her death, that must have been really hard but nonetheless, you did it. I'm proud of you."

I tightly hold her hand and I begin to cup her face lightly.

"Is what I think is about to happen, going to happen?"

"Yes," I say and I initiate a kiss with her.

We kiss passionately, holding each other in a warm embrace, expressing an unspoken love. After what feels like a lifetime to me, our mouths finally part, and our eyes slowly meet.

"That was amazing," I say.

"I agree."

"I can't believe I finally gathered the bravery to do that."

"Well, I'm about to gather the bravery to say this," she pauses and takes a breath to tell me, "I love you."

Though it sounds insane, my heart urges me to reveal my powerful feelings for her and so I say, "I love you too."

Whether it's another teen romance story, it's mine and right now, it feels right. It feels like I was destined to say it at that moment.

She hugs me and then I hold her close until the parade ends. When it ends, we step off the platform and walk away, hand in hand, to the entrance of the festival.

  "Thank you for such an amazing time," I say.

  "Thank you," she tells me.

  I laugh and I ask, "can I walk you home?"

  "Um... I know walking is our thing but it's freezing, Scarlet."

  "I'm sorry. You're right," I immediately say.

  "Don't be sorry. I knew it would get freezing so I forced my sister to let me borrow her car. It should be in the parking lot."

  "Let's go then," I say.

  "I'll drive you home," she tells me but she frowns, adding, "I hope you're not disappointed."

  "I'm not because you're right. If I walk you home then we'll both catch a cold."

  "Let's go to the car," she tells me.

I nod and follow her to her car where she drives me home.