Chapter 4- The Hogwarts Express

For the seventh time I pour over my books. My favourite is 'Hogwarts, A History'. I just find the story of Hogwarts to be fascinating! An enchanted ceiling, ghosts, magic rooms! There's just so much to discover, and so much to learn! I've been reading my new books for 6 days straight, and today I was going to Hogwarts. It was September first. Any minute now a 'Ministry Official' would come to take us to the platform, platform 9 3/4! I've been packing over and over since we came home from Diagon Alley. I was determined to know everything people who grew up around magic knew. I wasn't going to be caught behind because I'm a muggle-born. But most of all what I was looking forward to at Hogwarts is making friends and being normal. I go back to my reading, but before I can find where I was the doorbell rings. I squeal loudly and shove my books in my trunk. I drag my trunk down the stairs to see a short, balding man greeting my mother and father. They all look up at me at the sound of the thumping. "Hello Hermione! I'm Dedalus Diggle." I have to suppress a laugh at his name. "As you know I'm to escort you to platform 9 3/4. So let's get a move on, the train leaves at exactly 11 o'clock." As we rush out the door and into the ministry car a feeling of absolute giddiness washes over me. I'm going to Hogwarts.

I stand in front of the wall. Just walk through it Hermione, you can do this. Or that's what I keep telling myself. Before I can change my mind I push my cart forward at a run and pass straight through the wall. I look around to see the train. The gleaming red train. The Hogwarts Express. There were animals everywhere, along with the people. Cats, Toads, Owls, Rats. I'm grinning ear to ear when I turn around to see my parents looking nervous. "Well, I guess this is goodbye then." I say sadly. I'm going to miss them. They look at me as if I've sprouted a third eye. Then tears well up in my mum's eyes. "Oh Hermione, I'm going to miss you!" She starts to cry as she wraps me up in a hug. My dad comes over and hugs me too. I say bye to my mum and turn to walk away. "Bye Hermy! We love you!" My dad shouts "Bye Dad! Bye Mum!" I walk down the train to find a compartment. One of the compartments I pass has only one person I sigh and walk in. "Hi, everywhere else is full. Mind if I sit here? I'm Hermione Granger." The boy turns to face me. "Neville!" I shout happily. "Hermione!" He grins at me. "Of course you can sit here." He proceeds to look in his trunk once more. I notice and empty cage beside him. He groans. "What's wrong Neville?" He looks at me sheepishly. "I've lost my toad, his name is Trevor." I smile back. "Why don't we look go ask in some other compartments?" He looks taken aback "You don't have to Hermione-" I interrupt. "I want to."

He nods. I walk down the train asking in each compartment I pass. I begin to think of the dream I had last night. I've been having the same dream over and over, with the boy with black hair green eyes and a lightning scar. Suddenly I remember something from one of my books: 'The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts'. Harry Potter. The most powerful dark wizard of all time tried to kill him when he was a toddler! But didn't manage it. He is the only one to have ever survived the killing curse, and it left him with a lightning scar! But how would I know what he looks like?

Neville and I decide to go over the compartments again, together this time. We reach the last one and I slide the door open. "Has anyone seen a toad? Neville's lost one," "We've already told him we haven't seen it," Said the boy with the flame red hair. But I wasn't paying attention. I'd already seen his wand out. "Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see it, then." I sit down across from him. He looks surprised. "Er - all right." He clears his throat, pints his wand at his rat and says: "Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow." He waved his wand in a ridiculous motion but nothing happened. "Are you sure that's a real spell? I say, suppressing a laugh. "Well, it's not very good is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practice and it's all worked for me." I smile. "Nobody in my family's magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, I mean, it's the very best school of witchcraft there is, I've heard - I've learnt all our set books off by heart, of course, I just hope it will be enough - I'm Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?" I say this all incredibly fast. For the first time I glance over at the other boy. It takes everything I've got not to shout out in surprise. He's the exact image of the boy from my dreams. He glances at the other boy, who looks stunned. "I'm Ron Weasley," The red head boy mutters. "Harry Potter," Says the boy from my dreams. "Are you really?" I gulp. "I know all about you, of course - I got a few extra books for background reading, and you're in Modern Magical History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century. "Am I?" He says as if he didn't know just how famous he was. "Goodness, didn't you know, I'd have found out everything I could if it was me," Wow, he really didn't know? "Do either of you know what house you'll be in? I've been asking around and I hope I'm in Gryffindor, it sounds by far the best, I hear Dumbledore himself was one, but I suppose Ravenclaw wouldn't be too bad ... Anyway, we'd better go and look for Neville's toad. You two had better change, you know, I expect we'll be there soon." I then got up and walk away as quickly as possible dragging Neville along with me. "Hermione wait! Hermione"! I stop. "What is going on? Why do you want to get out of there so fast?" He shouts at me. "Neville, I promise, I'll tell you once we get in the compartment, can we go now?" He looks at me confused but nods and we walk back to the compartment.

"Hermione." Neville grabs my shoulders to make me face him. I sigh and sit sown. "It's Harry." Neville just looks at me patiently. I sigh again. "Recently I've been having this dream, the same one, each night." He nods. I take a deep breath and continue. "And it's him, Neville. I've never seen him before in my life yet he is so vivid in the dream. In the dream we're laying in the grass by a lake talking and laughing. Then he turns to me to say something and I wake up. Neville how is that possible?!" He looks at me sadly and says, "I don't know Hermione, but don't worry about it now think of how close we are to Hogwarts." I smile at him, embarrassed. "Thanks Neville." I give him a huge hug. At first he just stands there shocked but then he hugs me back. As we separate I hear someone howling in pain at the end of the car. I tell Neville I'll be right back and walk down. I'm startled to see two very muscly boys and a pale boy with a pointed face run past me. I stop for a moment as I realize they've come from Harry and Ron's compartment. I steel myself and walk forward, into their compartment. "What has been going on?" I ask, bewildered. I see sweets and wrappers littering the floor, and Ron is picking a rat up by it's tail. "I Think he's been knocked out," Ron says to Harry. I just continue to stare at them both as he looks closer at the rat. "No - I don't believe it - he's gone back to sleep." Ron is suddenly brought back to the present. "You've met Malfoy before?" Harry then proceeds to explain about meeting someone - from what i've gathered, the pale boy from before - in Diagon Alley. "I've heard of his family," Ron says darkly. "They were the first to come back to our side after You-Know-Who disappeared. Said they'd been bewitched. My dad doesn't believe it. He says Malfoy's father didn't need an excuse to go over to the dark side." I know about You-Know-Who. He was the most powerful dark wizard of all time. The one who tried to kill Harry. The one who gave him the famous lightning scar. Ron then turns to me. "Can we help you with something?" He aks, annoyed. I rack my brain, really I just wanted to see Harry. "You'd better hurry up and put your robes on, I've been up the front to ask the driver and he says we're nearly there. Youhaven't been fighting, have you? You'll be in trouble before we even get there!" I've obviously not been up front, but what was I supposed to say? Ron scowls at me. "Scabbers has been fighting, not us." He indicated to the rat who must be Scabbers. "Would you mind leaving while we change?" He says rudley. I'm hurt. Maybe I shouldn't have come I'm still being treated like I was back home. I've been bullied enough without Ron's help. "All right - I only came in here because people outside are behaving very childishly, racing up and down the corridors," I'm dissapointed I sound tearful when I say it. I glare at Ron and notice he's got dirt on his nose, so I add, "And you've got dirt on your nose, by the way, did you know?" I can feel Ron glaring at my back as I walk out.

Not long after a voice rings throught the train. "We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes' time. Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to the school seperatley." My nerves highten. As i'm still in the corridor I walk to the front of the train and students pour out of compartments and the corridor becomes full. The train slowed down and finally came to a complete stop.

We're here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you like this reallllllllllllllllllllllly longgg chapter.

It took me a long time but since i took so long with the last one im giving you this one now pleaseeeeee

vote

comment

fan

Remember to comment onthe last chapter: should neville have a crush on hermione?????

<3 thanks

-Autumn

P.S I've edited the chapter as ive missed some parts.