Uncle John and Co.

The boys made every attempt to walk aside from the hoards of students pouring out of  the doors, but it was near impossible to do this. Though both James and Remus were taller than the vast majority of pupils, they still found that even the youngest of pupils could push past with the strength to knock anyone over. 

Once out of the school gates pupils began to disperse, meaning the four boys were finally able to walk side-by-side without the fear of being bowled down. Remus and Peter had fallen behind slightly, so James and Sirius stepped back from the path to wait for them.

No one spoke for a while as they walked towards the corner shop, each with different things consuming their minds. 

James was still trying to figure out whether he really had an uncle John. He was relieved that the school day was over, but the more he thought about it, the more worried he was at the possibility of the following days not being any better. 

Peter felt weird, he hadn't had a bad day. He had made a new friend, he had somewhat enjoyed his lessons, he was excited to go back tomorrow, he did wish that the others didn't have to, though.

Remus was focussing his available efforts on looking out for someone who might be James' uncle, knowing the he probably wasn't. The rest of his being, however, was still focused on staying upright. Even outside of the bustling school, the atmosphere was overwhelming; the bitter winds rushed past his ears and seemed to drum on his skull. The cars on the busy road polluted his mind and pulsated behind his eyes. 

Sirius was focussed entirely on Remus, no thoughts, just a protective rage building inside him. He knew that later that night Remus would likely open up-or break. And Sirius had to be there for him when this happened. He couldn't be angry, he couldn't be vengeful, he just had to be. 

The corner shop soon came into view, and it was clear to everyone exactly who James' 'uncle' was amongst the crowd. 

A man stood against the wall of the shop heads and shoulders above everyone else, he was easily 6 foot 7. He wore black jeans that were too short and an ill fitting shirt to match. Over his shirt was an aggressively coloured waistcoat and a floor length trench coat to finish off the look. What gave the man away, however, was that his long black hair was held at the back of his head by what looked like an intricately decorated stick-or, perhaps, a wand.

As the boys approached him, John stared at them with intent curiosity. 

"James. Sirius. Remus. Peter. 1-2-3-4." he spoke in an obviously American accent and pointed at each of the four in turn. Suddenly he flashed a smile. "Let's go."

James looked around and saw that the others were just as confused as him, but John had already walked off, they had to jog to catch up. 

"Um, hi, who exactly are you, by the way?" James asked, entirely confused.

"I'm your uncle John." 

"I don't have an uncle John."

"No? I'm your American uncle John."

"I don't have any American family. Or uncles!"

"Listen, kid, would you just shut it until we get home please?" 

Sirius and Remus shared a look of almost disbelief. Somehow, this was the least shocking thing that had happened today.

The odd group of five walked for a while down cycle paths and through little paths through the trees that really shouldn't have been there. Sirius and James were starting to get bored of walking, a mundane task that could be accomplished quicker by so many other methods. Peter was starting to drag his feet, tired from the small amount of exercise he had done today. Remus held no shame in the fact that James and Sirius were pretty much the only thing keeping him upright, he was swaying uneasily between the two, letting them support his bodyweight.