Chapter 14

LANCE

My eyes flew open. I was in a room lying on a hospital bed in what seemed to have been an office at some point.

My gaze locked on the unused darkened lights overhead. I could almost hear the memorable humming sound they made when on. The iridescent lighting that would have been blinding after just opening my eyes.

What happened? Why am I in a hospital?

I assessed my body. I couldn't really feel anything. I felt a faint foreign ache in my right leg, but at the same time the pain was so dull I felt almost numb.

I racked my brain trying to remember previous events, but nothing was coming through my darkened mind. It was as though I was trying to see through murky water.

The only sight visible in my mind was an image of Keith. His devastated facial expression and his dark hooded eyes.

All I can remember was-Keith. Why did he look so sad?

I gasped as memories came flooding back.

Griffin.

The room.

The desk.

Pain.

Keith.

Tormented violet eyes.

I need to help him.

Pain.

Cold dark eyes.

Excruciating pain.

A saw.

Screaming.

Obsidian hair turning away.

Darkness.

I tore the blanket off and stifled a sob. My hand flew to my mouth to keep from crying out.

It's true. He did do it.

My leg had been cut just below the knee. It was bandaged with white gauze tinted in red at the end of the nub.

I think I'm going to throw up.

"Lance? Lance!" Coran's familiar lilt reached me. I turned to see the ginger rise from a spot in the corner. Others were around him.

Allura, Pidge, Cosmo, and Hunk.

The one face I longed to see. The one I needed to see wasn't there.

Where's Keith. He's the one I want to see. I need to know he's okay. What he did for me- must have been really hard for him.

"Where's Keith?" I croaked. My voice sounded rough and unlike my own.

The room fell silent. Eyes glanced at one another.

What the hell is going on?

"Lance, buddy, Keith-" Hunk began but couldn't finish. Instead he stepped back.

I felt my stomach tighten into knots.

Oh no it's bad. Something happened to him. Did he? Did I-while I was infected?

"Keith is missing. " Pidge finished.

What?

My heart dropped. I resisted the urge to clutch at the sudden ache in my chest.