The only sound that followed the question was the hurried footsteps of a pirate scampering out to call everybody over, so they could hear such a story. In the astonished silence that filled the room, Marina blushed and lowered her eyes. Laventry noticed the chuckle Morris tried to swallow and sighed.

"She did it!" Harry said. "For a dozen giant whales, she did it! The damn Spaniard was telling the truth!"

All of a sudden the pirates shot their questions at the same time, as the parlor got more and more crowded.

"Three frigates?"

"When? Where?"

"How did you do it?"

"Tell us!"

"You alone?"

"That's half the Armada!"

Alonso had changed his uniform for civilian clothes and had taken the risk of going for a walk down the harbor street to clear his head. He was back in time to hear half a hundred dogs cheering Morris' account, since Marina felt too embarrassed to tell it herself.

The young captain let out a bitter sigh and walked into the first empty room he found. Where he also found a sherry bottle, which became his sole companion for the rest of the afternoon.

 Where he also found a sherry bottle, which became his sole companion for the rest of the afternoon

Two days later, Morris stormed into Marina's room with a bright grin. "Maxó and De Neill are back. Get dressed, pearl, because we're getting the hell out of this damned city."

The women insisted that they should have lunch before leaving, and they didn't make them ask twice. From the kitchen, they saw Alonso sunk in a couch, alone, his head in his hands, burdened shoulders.

"He's hardly slept since he got here," one of the women said.

"He should come with us," said Marina.

"I think we're going to need to force him at gunpoint," Morris said.

"Maybe if I give him a chance to vent out," the girl murmured.

So Morris took her to the Spaniard, who looked up when he sat Marina on his couch. Morris didn't want to leave them alone, but her look didn't give room to argue.

Marina waited until he left and closed the door. "I'm leaving, Captain Alonso," she said softly. "Will you come with me?"

Alonso let out a bitter chuckle. "To Tortuga! Are you trying to recruit me?"

"No, Captain. I intend to ask for your help. Once more. And I'll beg as much as it takes, for I need you in order to set Captain Castillano free."

He held her eyes for a long moment, trying to decide whether she was mocking him or a complete idiot.

"What's this for you? Just one big joke?"

"One big debt, Captain. One I must at least try to repay. Even if he's still alive, your friend sacrificed his life for me."