o n e

Nayeon sucked at archery. She had no aim, she couldn't pull the bow back far enough, and she almost always injure herself while trying.

But Jeongyeon was good at it. And that's why she keeps going to the archery range every Saturday at 2.

A reasonable solution to Nayeon's problem would be to hire someone to help teach her so she could impress the "love of her life" as she put it. Which was a brilliant idea.

If Nayeon had money.

She knew spending her allowance on the recent Girls' Generation album wasn't the brightest thing to do. But at least she could fangirl over pictures of Taeyeon in the photo book.

So, Nayeon had to practice at home and settle to secretly watch Jeongyeon, the object of her affection, flawlessly hit bull's eye after bull's eye.

The owner of the range was a family from Taiwan, who had archery in their bloodline for as long as possible. Their daughter, who was rumored to be training for the olympics, always practiced there the same time as Jeongyeon. She was tall, cool, confident. Her aim was always right. She never missed a target. She was who Nayeon wanted to be like.

But how could she with absolutely no lessons?

"Well, you could always ask Jeongyeon to teach you," Jihyo, Nayeon's best friend, suggested.

The older looked away from her plain, white ceiling, focusing on the girl sitting beside her on the bed. She turned the idea over in her head before scoffing and sitting up properly.

"Jeongyeon? Teach me? Don't be ridiculous, Jihyo-yah."

Jihyo turned a page in the book she was reading without lifting her head. "That's what happens in all the romance books and shows. You've watched it work before!"

"That's different. Plus, I don't want her to see how much of an idiot I am."

Nayeon has daydreamed on multiple occasions of how Jeongyeon would teach her archery, and how they would giggle and bond over other things during their training sessions. They always ended up in Jeongyeon asking her out and the two beginning to date after a session. It was nice, but not as nice as the daydream where Nayeon shows off her super cool archery skills and impresses Jeongyeon so much the younger dates her. Nayeon very much prefers the latter due to how short and simple it is.

"It's going to take forever for you to get on her level," Jihyo sighed.

Nayeon shook her head, lying back down on her bed. "Nah, I feel like I'm improving a lot! Yesterday, I almost hit a squirrel in his tree!"

"Nayeon!"

"I said 'almost', Jihyo. There wasn't an arrow attached anyways."

"You know, you're starting to become really dangerous."

"Well once Jeongyeon notices me, I'll quit archery," Nayeon decided, closing her eyes.

Jihyo chuckled, still not taking her eyes off her book. "Good luck with that."

"Why?"

"If archery is really important to Jeongyeon unnie, then you'll see bows and arrows more likely than you think."

It was Nayeon's turn to sigh as her eyes flew open. Jihyo's right. If she wanted any chance to wiggle her way into Jeongyeon's heart, she better invest all of her free time into getting to actually know archery and not almost hit squirrels with lucky aims in her backyard. To most, it would seem ridiculous how much time and effort Nayeon was putting towards gaining Jeongyeon's attention. But to Nayeon, it was worth it. She would give anything to get Jeongyeon to recognize her.

Okay, almost anything. She still would not pay for lessons she would forget within a few days.

"Jihyo-yah...just wondering, uh...but where can we find the nearest bookstore?"

Alrighty peeps, let's hope I don't lose inspiration for this!🤠