Chapter 1: The Dursleys

Start from the beginning

Chapter 1

It was night time at Hogwarts. The students were due to come to Hogwarts in just a month. All staff members were asleep except for 3 staff  members that were still awake. Argus Filch, the caretaker of Hogwarts and his cat Mr's Norris, were doing some last minute cleaning. Albus Dumbledore was in his office talking to one angry-looking Potions Professor. Severus Snape was pacing in front of Dumbledore's desk and wasn't looking pleased. Dumbledore was smiling, his blue eyes twinkling. There was a key and a letter to Harry on his desk in front of Snape. Snape stops pacing and faces Dumbledore, "Did I hear you correctly, Albus? You want me to go fetch Potter, from the Dursleys and take him to Diagon Alley. Then take him to get his school supplies?" Dumbledore nods, smiling, "Yes, Severus. I would send Hagrid, but he would certainly stand out in the muggle world, if I did. Which is why I am asking you." Snape said, "And why me, Albus? Why not ask Minerva, or Poppy? Why must I be the one to fetch Potter?" Dumbledore said, "Because, you have a better chance at blending into the muggle world, than Minerva or Poppy." Snape hisses, "And if I refuse?" Dumbledore looks over his glasses at Snape and said, "You promised to protect him, Severus. You're not going back on your word now, are you?" Snape snapped, "You know full well that I would never go back on my word!" Dumbledore smiles, "Then it's settled. You will fetch Harry and help him get his school supplies. Oh, I will need you to fetch something else from Gringotts, Severus." Snape, who was looking angry moments earlier, was now looking curious, "Yes, Albus?" Dumbledore takes out another envelope and hands it to Snape. Dumbledore said, "I need you to pick up the item that we discussed, Severus. It will be better protected, here at Hogwarts." Snape nods and pockets the letter. He knew what that item was. He will have to make sure that Potter didn't ask what was in the pouch, when he goes to pick it up. Snape looks at Dumbledore. He knew when he lost an arguement, especially against Dumbledore. Snape said, bitterly, "Very well, I will fetch Potter and take him to Diagon Alley to get his school supplies." 'I will do it for her.' Snape mentally finished. Dumbledore smiles and said, "Thank you, Severus." Snape takes the key and envelope and pockets it. He nods to Dumbledore, then turns on his heels and marches out of his office. Dumbledore smiles as he goes back to reading the Daily Prohpet.

Snape looks at the address on the envelope and smirks. He pockets the envelope once more, then concentrates on his destination, before disapprating on the spot. With a very soft crack, he appears just a few feet away from a dingy-looking hut, which was standing on top of a rocky island. The wind whips around him as he pulls his cloak around himself, his hair whipping around his face. He goes up to the door and pulls out his wand. They are in for a nasty surprise. Snape smirks as he points his wand to the door and said, "Bombarda Maxima!" The door blasts open with an almighty bang as it gets ripped from the hinges and falls to the floor, waking the Dursleys and Harry. Harry hops up from the floor and hides himself by the fireplace. While Dudley jumps off the couch and runs to the window. Vernon and Petunia come running down the stairs, Vernon carrying a double-barrel rifle in his hands. Vernon points the rifle at Snape and shouts, "I DEMAND THAT YOU LEAVE AT ONCE, SIR! YOU ARE BREAKING AND ENTERING!" Snape smirks, points his wand at Vernon's rifle and said, "Reducto!" The rifle splits in 2 in Vernon's hands. Vernon drops the 2 pieces of his rifle and goes quiet. Dudley moves to his mom and attempts to hide behind her. Snape said, "Where is Mr. Potter? I am here to see him." The Dursleys said nothing, looking rather scared. Snape said in a low dangerous tone, "I will ask you one more time. Where is Mr. Potter?" Harry who was hiding by the fireplace saw a black-haired man with dark brown eyes and a hook nose. He was tall from what Harry could see. For some reason, the man looked vaguely familiar to him. Yet, he couldn't place where he remembered him from. At this moment the black-haired man had a stick pointed at his aunt, uncle and cousin. He felt very intmidated by the black-haired man, but decided he'd better show himself before the man did something to his aunt and uncle. Not that he cared what the man did. Harry steps out of his hiding spot and said, "Here, sir." Snape turns to the boy and notices that he was wearing too big clothes and broken glasses. What he notices most of all, were Harry's innocent green eyes. Exactly like the eyes the baby had when he found him in his crib, 10 years ago. He found Harry Potter. He immediately knew that the boy wasn't being cared for. Out of the corner of his eyes, he spots something drawn on the dusty floor. He looks and notices that it was a drawing of a birthday cake with 11 candles on it. He looks to Harry, then back at the drawing of the cake. Harry nervously wipes his hands on his pants, but Snape caught Harry doing that and narrows his eyes as he puts 2 and 2 together. He mentally files it away in his mind, to bring it up later. Snape said, "Mr. Potter, I am Professor Severus Snape. Potions Master and Head of Slytherin house at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry." Harry looks confuses as Snape continues, "I prefer that you call me either professor or sir whilst in my presence, undertood?" Harry nods and said, "Yes, sir. Can I ask you something?" Snape nods, giving Harry permission. Harry said, "What's Hogwarts, sir?" Snape raises his eyebrows, then looks to the Dursleys and narrows his eyes. While still looking at the Dursleys, he said, "Hogwarts school is a wizarding school, for students who have magic. Their name are written down the moment a child shows any signs of magic. Letters are then written and sent to those students, once they turn 11. Sometimes, a teacher from the school or the Deputy Headmistress herself, will go to the child's home and give them their acceptence letter." Harry looks at Snape and said, "Is that why you're here, sir?" Snape looks at Harry and nods, "Yes Mr. Potter. You are a wizard." Harry said, "But sir, I can't be a wizard. I'm just Harry." Snape raises an eyebrow as he suddenly asks Harry a question, "Did you make anything happen when you were angry or scared? Anything that you could not explain, Mr. Potter?" Harry thought about it, then remembered the time he made the glass disappear in the reptile room, at the zoo. Dudey had fallen into the room where the snake was. The snake slithered out and slithered away. Harry looks back at Snape and saw him smirking. Snape had devled into Harry's mind and saw Dudley push Harry hard to the floor. He saw Harry make the glass disappear and saw Dudley fall into the room where the snake was kept. He found the Dursleys' reactions quite humorous. Snape saw other things, which concerned him. His smirks fades as he thought about what else he saw in the boy's mind. One, was the punishment that Harry received for making the glass disappeared, allowing Dudley to lose his balance and fall in. He will need to discuss this with Harry and soon. If what he saw in the boy's mind was any indiciation, he will have to restrain himself greatly when speaking to the Dursleys. He didn't want to curse them in front of Harry. Nor did he want to get sent to Azkaban for it. Snape said, "By the expression on your face, Mr. Potter, that would be a yes, correct?" Harry said, "Yes, sir." Snape smirks then said, "Then you are a wizard, Mr. Potter." Snape pulls out an envelope with Harry's name on it and hands it to him.