24

I staggered back, unable to look away. As my eyes frantically darted around her, I saw that there was blood and some strange black liquid dripping from her neck and hands. I couldn't see her face, but I'm willing to bet good money it was coming from her eyes and mouth too. It was as if the wires had such a tight grip that they cut through her skin.

Vomit started rising in my throat. I tried to speak, but nothing comprehensible came out. I just made a weird garbled noise and stumbled over to where she was hanging. Small chunks of her hair were missing, and there was a series of scratches on her arms and neck.

She fought back.

And she still lost.

My vision was blurred with tears, but as my eyes passed her blood stained hand, I noticed a gray square object enveloped inside.

"I can do things, Avery Valentin. Things you wouldn't have even thought possible before now. And the funniest part is..."

Ben's voice only became more and more garbled and insane as he drifted toward me, gently turning my chin to face him.

"...you were so convinced I was a good person."

After a moment's hesitation, I slowly shook my head. My mind started to go red, and my hands curled into fists. "No. I don't think so. You're not the guy I—"

Something in my body wouldn't let me say it. Not now.

"—knew before. Are you? You're what he was talking about, that other thing that takes over. Either way, you...you're not my Ben. You're a fucking monster."

He chuckled like I was some stupid dog trying to find its tail. "Oh, no, but that's exactly the one thing you are right about, my dear. I am a monster."

I slowly stepped back, but he kept his grasp on me. I forced myself to look him in the eye as I reached back and pried the cartridge from Meghan's fingers.

"I am out for revenge."

I quickly retracted my hand and stuffed it in my pocket, praying he didn't notice.

"And now is the time, for all those who have wronged me to pay."

My anger flooded back into me, and I swatted his hand away from my face. "You—"

I stopped when I saw him looking curiously around the room like he just noticed where he was.

"In fact...there was someone in particular I was looking to go first. And, oh, what a lovely little coincidence."

He snapped his fingers nonchalantly, and I sunk to my knees. It felt like something was tying my whole body down. What the hell?!

"They happen to be right here!"

I gritted my teeth, wrapping my fingers tightly around the cartridge.

"Look, I'm sorry. Okay? I learned my lesson!" With difficulty, I lifted my head and glared at him in his psychotic glory.

"I shouldn't have given you to someone else without at least telling you. You trusted me, and I just...threw that away. But..."

He raised his eyebrows, and my eyes began brimming with tears again. I hope you feel guilty, you psycho.

"...why did you kill her? She...she didn't do anything. She didn't do a fucking thing to you. And now she's dead."

After a moment, he narrowed his eyes, and something smacked me in the head and toppled to the floor.