15

Possession.

That's what came to my mind the moment he said that.

It was the one thing we hadn't tried, out of all strategies to free him from that game. Sure, I'd mentioned it to him, but I was sure he'd only rejected the idea because he was uncomfortable with entering a mortal's body within days of them meeting. And I don't know exactly why I thought of it right then, but the mention of us being "more similar than you probably think" made my mind start to reel.

"Ben..." I began softly.

"You don't have to say anything. I know it's hard to respond after, well, something like—"

"No. I have an idea."

Ben raised his head. "What?"

"That game...it's sort of like a vessel to you, right?"

He sat up and tilted his head, unsure. "I guess. Where are you going with this?"

"I think you should try possessing me."

He sighed at that. "Okay...Avery, buddy, you already said that, and I already told you it won't work."

"I know, but have you tried it?"

"I can get into people's heads? And that's about it. I've told you this—"

"Ben. Have you. Tried. It," I repeated with gritted teeth. Ben raised an eyebrow.

"...um, no...?"

"Then we can't say it won't work yet, can we. Let's see..." I closed my eyes and held my head in my hands, trying to think of how exactly this would work. He could try just getting into my mind again, but not doing anything like making me hallucinate or whatever shit he pulls in there. Or maybe possession is a whole other process and we'd have to find a guide online. Or maybe I had to be dead to get possessed.

Eh. Probably shouldn't do that.

"Okay...maybe we should try the easiest first. What if all you had to do was invade my brain like usual, but then tried to, like...control me?"

I opened my eyes to see Ben looking at me apprehensively, his hands fidgeting in the air. "I don't know. You're really cool with this? Like, I don't know how it works, but what if something weird happens and you're trapped in some spirit realm forever...?"

"I'd rather not think about that specific scenario right now, but otherwise it's fine. Long as you don't break a wall or anything."

"Uh, okay. So do I like, try phasing through your body and thinking at you at the same time?"

"Sure."

Alright.

I bit my tongue before I could say anything stupid; I still wasn't used to him just switching back and forth like that. Taking a deep breath, I sat completely still and closed my eyes again.

Passive. You're passive. You're...a rock. Wait, no, rocks aren't passive, they're dead. No, non-living. Not dead. Ugh, focus! Wait, but I shouldn't be focusing, that's the whole point.

...having a little trouble?

No. Absolutely not. I'm the epitome of calm.

Sure. Just hold on one second. I think...

Ben's voice trailed off, almost like he was entering a tunnel. I could feel a strange, cold sensation wash over me as his sort of "presence" disappeared; I didn't hear any kind of buzzing, my mind was completely silent other than my thoughts. It was like he just vanished.

Then, my head suddenly jerked up, like I'd just awoken from a nightmare.

The first thing I noticed was that something felt...well, weird is all I can think of to describe it. Like there was something weighing my head down, but lifting it up at the same time. I heard tiny whispers of thought, like somebody was talking to themselves from a distance and I could hear just enough so I couldn't understand exactly what they were saying. I could see, but everything was strange and foggy, like I was looking through a smudged window. It almost felt like I was dreaming, but I knew I wasn't. Or at least I was pretty sure.

Ben wasn't standing in front of me anymore.

Are...are you here?

I think so...? I don't know exactly what just happened, you'll have to give me a second.

Okay, no pressure.

Ha. Just realized, this is probably the closest I'm gonna get to being inside of somebody.

I'm swooning, I thought, half-annoyed and half-impressed that it took him that long to realize it. With the teenage boy brain, and all.

Concentrate, dipshit. This is the one good thing you've been able to do all this time, you can't get distracted now.

Oh, wow. What was that about no pressure?

My eyes widened and my face started burning up when I realized he could hear all of my thoughts now. Probably ever since we met, actually. I frantically grappled for an explanation that wouldn't get me lectured about my self-esteem again.

No, no, no, no, I wasn't saying—thinking that, to you. I was...it's just, I was getting a little stressed because I haven't been able to—

Avery.

What.

I know you're impatient with yourself. That kind of thing doesn't change overnight. But the way you talk to yourself sometimes, even when you've done nothing wrong...it worries me.

It really shouldn't, man. I've been like this for a long time.

Ben didn't answer right away, but instead let that sink in.

...starting to see what you mean. I might have a problem.

I tried standing up to get my mind off everything that was going on right now. Wow. I'm...possessed.

You sure are, I think.

My knees felt a little weak, but it might've just been from sitting down for so long. Moving one foot in front of the other wasn't too hard. The surprise came when they started moving on their own.

Wait, what the fuck...? Are you...

Oh. Sorry. I forgot.

It's whatever, I just almost had a heart attack. Can you just move me, or is there anything else?

I'm don't know. I think there might be this...middle ground, between our thoughts, if that makes any sense. There could be a way for...no. Nevermind. Still don't know exactly what's happening right now. But we probably shouldn't try anything crazy in the middle of your living room.

I looked around and nodded. "Should we get out of the house? 'Cause I can't really think of anywhere else to go..."

Do you have some kind of secluded park somewhere? Like, just to make sure I'm still not tied to the game right now.

I thought, and then chuckled a bit. "Sure. Ideal first date kinda shit."

I will pay you to not make this weird, alright?

"Fine. Park it is."