nine

9 : summer

I went home for a week at the end of Christmas break, contrasting to the original two days, as I just really missed James, my parents coming to Hogwarts through the Floo network, and us Flooing back home. James tackled me with a large hug, that break being one of the first times we spent longer than a few nights apart.

I was surprised at how relieved I was to see him, and we spent a lot of time chatting about our opposing breaks. James gave me the grand tour of the lights that him and Dad had set up, and asked me to beg Mum and Dad to leave them up for a while longer.

So I did, and of course, Mum and Dad agreed.

They promised to leave them up until Summer break.

That week was spent with me being the happiest I'd ever been. I was feeling so incredibly healthy, that I actually played Quidditch with James. I had never seen a smile that large on my brother's face, and I prayed that the health would stay for as long as possible. My time at home was full of fun, laughter and happiness that none of us had felt since I first started getting sicker. Mum and Dad were completely relaxed, and spent more time doting on James than me, and I was so beyond grateful for that.

When we got back to Hogwarts, Sirius was beyond happy. He pulled James into a 'guy' hug first, and for that I was grateful. As soon as he let James go, he took his time moving to hug me, making it seem innocent. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and he wrapped his around my back, keeping them high. He kissed my shoulder, softly and quickly. He let go too soon for my taste, but I knew why.

I saw the knowing smirk on Lily's face, and glared at her. I smiled when she came to hug me, her wrapping her arms tightly around me. "I'm glad you're still feeling good," she whispered before letting go.

I don't think I'd ever been so shocked in my entire life. As soon as Lily let go of me, and saw him standing further back on my right side, she nearly knocked me over to get to him.

And then she hugged James.

She held him tightly, too. She was on her tippy-toes, her arms wrapped around his neck, each hand on an opposite elbow, her face burried in his neck.

And the look on James face was priceless, and I was so grateful I had the camera Mum and Dad got me hanging around my neck. I pulled it up, and quickly snapped a picture. A moment after I snapped the picture, James finally responded, hugging her tightly. He kept his hands way above her waist, but he wrapped his arms around her as tightly as he could. He buried his face in her hair, and they stayed like that for several moments.

Then the picture was spit out, and she pulled away, her cheeks redder than her hair. She moved to stand next to me, keeping her eyes away from James.

I glanced at Sirius, who's gaping expression was just as surprised as mine was, while James still looked so flabbergasted that he didn't move. He just stood there, his jaw slightly ajar, and his face beet red, until Remus threw a couch pillow at his face.

"We get it, Potter, she hugged you," Remus said, shaking his head with a smile. I had a sneaking feeling Remus had expected it.

Later, when we were in bed, I asked Lily what possessed her to do that, and she blushed again.

"I missed him," She whispered. "I didn't know I could miss James until I saw him looking at me and was overcome with... joy?"

"Oooooh," I teased. "How'd it feel?"

"It felt amazing, it felt like I was hugging a campfire. I don't know if I've ever felt that... warm? I fit against him so well, it was crazy."