Chapter One: A House of Hate

I. Don't. Care what you think, as long as it's about me! I sang the words to a Fall Out Boy song, while doing my math homework on my bed. It was just getting around to the chorus again, when the headphones were suddenly yanked off of my ears. I froze, still able to hear the guitar and drums from the song clanging in the headphones that were now a foot away. I had thought that my mother was gone with her boyfriend. She told me she would be out for at least a few more hours.

"And what do you call this garbage you're listening to, young man?" She asked, scowling.

"I, umm, it's just a song, mother..." I avoided her eyes, chewing at my lip nervously.

"This," she shook my headphones angrily, "Is not a song. This is brain pollution."

I nodded my agreement, terror filling me already. "I'm sorry, mother. I won't listen to trash like that again." Fall Out Boy was my favorite artist. I especially liked their old stuff.

She snarled, "You're damned right you won't! I will not have this nonsense in my house, making my useless son even more idiotic!" She threw the headphones on the floor, and stomped on them with her high heels until they were in at least five pieces. She seemed to forget that they had been connected to my iPod though, because she left that alone when it tumbled under the bed. I sighed in relief, that iPod had taken me a year of saving my earnings from my job at the ice cream parlor.

"Now get your lazy ass downstairs and make my husband dinner." I stood up in a rush, picking up the broken unusable pieces, and throwing them in the trash can. I went to the door, but she grabbed my arm. "And if you burn it, or mess it up in any way, I will stab you with a fork. Do you understand me?"

I stood half of a foot above her, but that didn't mean that I feared her wrath any less. She had once been a professional fighter, and even if I hurt her in any way, her boyfriend would come after me. I nodded hurriedly again. She would carry out her threat too, she'd done it once before.

"Good, now I'm going to get changed. Tell Barry."

"Yes, mother."

I took the steps downstairs three at a time. My mother yelled at me from the top of the stairs, and I flinched. Oops. I slowed down, so I wasn't running into the kitchen, but rather fast walking. Barry was waiting in the dining room for my mother to return.

"Where's my wife?"

Girlfriend, I corrected in my mind. If she was your actual wife, my dad wouldn't have to pay alimony.

"She's coming downstairs once she gets changed."

"Ahh... Oh, there you are, honey!" He smiled, jumping up as she entered the room. I hurried out in to the kitchen to make them supper as quickly as possible. I didn't want to spend one more minute with them than I had to. Sadly, I could still hear what they were saying, because both of them were slightly buzzed. Mother and Barry both get loud when they're even a touch drunk. Another horrible thing they had in common.

"What's your pathetic excuse for a son doing down here?"

"Oh, he's making us our romantic dinner." She giggled. I shivered, what a horrible sound. "His pathetic excuse for a father hasn't sent me my monthly paycheck yet. So I don't want to go out right now."

"Aww, wifey, you know that I'd pick up the check."

I heard smoochy noises, and tried to block out the sound. "Oh yes I do my cutesy wootsy, but then you wouldn't be able to pay for any, you know, happiness." They both giggled, as if I didn't know that they were talking about drugs in their demented slang. Actually, they probably didn't even know I was listening. They were probably just being careful.