I laugh. "I'm not wonder-women."

"That would be so awesome!" Annie laughs and rushes out the door. "Shotgun!" Like most days, Annie is wearing a plain shirt with a skirt and leggins to match the color of her top.

Ronnie mopes out the door and takes the backseat. "Try to be quicker, bud." I assure her, while she wears a sweater and jeans. Locking the door we head down the street to their school. It's not much distance away, but it's a tedious action on my part. When I'm not at school, I like to sleep my boring day away.

I'm not really friendly with others, Caleb only happened because we got stuck as lab partners for Chemistry. It wasn't hard to find myself attracted him, I mean, Caleb is really smart and genuinly nice.

My father left me his car when he left us, though I rarely drive it; It's an emergency type thing. Once arriving to their school I wait for them to get out and then yell out the window. "Be good! Stay in school!"

Driving down the road, I take a different route home. Nothing sparks my interest until I notice the house that burned to the ground; where the boy had survived. Slowing down I stare at the ash, burned pieces of rumble and forgotten items laying around. It's a complete mess there. I'm surprised no one is there cleaning up.

Without realizing it I stopped my car and was instantly reminded of my dream. A boy who burns in fire, but doesn't die...

Beep!

A car honks at me from behind and I quickly drive on feeling a bit annoyed. This past week has just been so odd and it's sort of getting to me. What with Caleb mysteriously leaving, the boy who didn't perish and that crazy dream. Though, I can see the dream being triggered by hearing the news of the house.

Pulling into the driveway, Mother is home and probably dead asleep in bed. There is a common thing Caleb and my Father have together and it's their odd departure. My father had left mysteriously in the middle of the night, with no trace of him; It was like he never existed in our lives.

Inside my Mother is actually in the kitchen preparing coffee. "How was work?" I ask, grabbing two cups from the dish rack.

"Long and tiring." She lightly mumbles as I hand her the cup. A long pause as she reaches into her back pocket and pulls out a closed envelope. "Here." Pain washes through her eyes and suddenly I feel deprived.

"What is this?" Grabbing it I read my name on the white envelope:

Fanny Roberts.

I recognized the handwriting to be my father's. Looking at my mother, she realized it too. "Did you read it?"

"No." My mother takes a sip of her coffee, I can tell she is jealous that he wrote me and not her. Shoving the letter in my pocket I take my cup and head up to my room and close the door shut.

Why had he written me and not his wife? Is something wrong or is he just apologizing...Taking the envelope out I slowly pry it open and take out the folded note. Unfolding it, I begin to read it to myself.

Dearest Fanny,

       I'm so sorry I had to leave in such an informal way; it pains me to think that I hurt you girls. I know it's been two years since you've seen me, but please understand these words. There are bad men out there that want to hurt the people that threaten them and I was one of those people. I can't reveal much detail now and I'm sorry about that, but I must warn you to stay careful. These men will come after you and you must stay strong, they are not afraid to hurt you, Fanny. I can't protect you anymore, you must ignite that flame inside and use it.

Love,

     Your father.

Ignite that flame inside me? Men that want to hurt me? What is this some sort of joke? We live in America, not Africa! Tossing the letter on the ground I push myself onto my bed. Complete bullshit. Who did he think he was? For all I know this was some sort of prank or...but why would anyone do that? And my Father, for that matter.

Ugh!

The rest of the day I found myself ignoring the letter and pretending it wasn't there on my floor. My mother had asked about it, but I had just explained it poured out apologies. Satisfied, she left me alone for the rest of the day. Closely after dinner I crept into bed and fell deeply a sleep.

It was close to the middle of the night when I began hearing footsteps downstairs. It must be my mother or one of my sisters getting a drink. They're always so loud and tedious. Shuffling in bed, I lay on my back with my eyes closed shut. My dad's letter appears in the back of my mind; could it be real? Why would someone lie about something like that?

Smacking my hand against my face, I sigh deeply with annoyance.

I just don't know.

Everything is so out of whack it's just...crazy! Things like this don't happen to seventeen year old girls; only in movies. The footsteps quietly walk up the stairs and down the hall, I hear a bedroom door shut so it was probably Annie wanting milk.

Getting comfortable I feel myself drift off once again, but a creak is heard by my door and my eyes flash open, while my body springs up. Before I can react: my blankets are pulled off of me and something is wrapped around my mouth: to prevent me from screaming. I try to look around, but my body begins to go limp and my vision fades to darkness.

-

-

-

Dun. Dun. DUNN!! Of course we all expected that, how cliche of me...