Chapter 4: Friends With Benefits

Start from the beginning

He seemed like a man used to getting whatever he wanted. As if it was expected for things to always go his way. I bet the thought of something not going his way ever crossed his mind.

"What is it you think I do?" I asked, my eyes scanning the room to make sure we weren't overheard. I knew this place though. Eden and Benny have brought clients for me to meet here before. The staff liked me well enough.

They had been my alibis more than once. I've learned that for the right price, anyone can be deaf, dumb, and blind.

When you do business in a place like this often, it was always smart to be nice to the servers, and of course leave generous tips.

"You get done what needs to be done," He spat the words out, raising an eyebrow at me as I shifted in my seat crossing my leg and folding my hands onto the table. My eyes went to Eden, she couldn't have explained my job well enough to him if he thought I was some kind of gun for hire. I had never killed anyone in my life and I wasn't going to start anytime soon. The thought of me killing someone was almost laughable.

Not saying that I would never kill anyone, I've just hadn't had the need to. Besides, I had learned over my years that some fates are worse than death. Why kill your enemies when you can torture them for all eternity?

"You couldn't be more wrong," I told him, smiling as I reached up to pick up my glass. Swirling the wine inside, I breathed in the scent of it before taking a sip. I watched him watching me as the fake smile he had on his face fell.

I was glad he wasn't putting on airs anymore. It looked like that smile hurt. I'd much rather my client be their true self.

No matter how awful that self may be. I don't judge. It's not what I'm paid to do after all. Richard Brown wasn't the type of man used to being told he was wrong. He looked at Eden as if she could do something. He leaned into her so he could whisper. I watched as his lips moved.

"Are you going to control this moron?" Richard said his tone was a hiss as Eden's eyes slid across the table to me. I could see a slight fear in Eden's eyes that I wasn't used to. She was a brave and smart woman in all the time I've known her I learned that few things scared her.

Taking in her appearance, I noticed the long sleeve that she had on. It was too hot for her to be wearing that. Frowning, my eyes went over to Richard Brown again. I would hate to tell him that she had no control over me. That she knew, there was nothing she could do if I decided to walk away from the table.

"You are failing to remember something Mr. Brown." I crossed my arms over my chest as I looked at the man. It was his turn to shift in his chair, drawing himself up to his full height. In the chair, I could tell that he was taller than me. I could see that he was trying to look down on me.

He was a fool if he thought to make himself appear bigger was going to intimidate me. I almost laughed at him, there was no way some spoiled rich boy was going to scare me. He saw someone young in a suit, and he assumed that he could bully me around. Poor foolish him, everyone heard the saying about taking the boy from the hood.

Brown's lips were pressed into a thin tight line. I almost expected him to start growling at me. It was clear that he was trying to be the alpha male. If Benny were here, he would have embarrassed the old man.He would make some impolite comment about his age or something along those lines.

It was bad business to be rude to your clients before they were even your clients. Besides, I enjoy the annoyed look on his face for a moment before I continued to speak.

"I don't need you, but you need me. You need my help, my skills, my expertise. You don't shit where you eat Mr. Brown." I warned him, my eyes narrowing as I allowed a threatening tone to slip into my voice. I gave him a slight smile to lighten the mood again.