V. CONGRATULATIONS, HARRY

Comincia dall'inizio

      ✯      ✯

     The meeting wasn't long when you compared it to the other ones Antares attended. Now that Potter was secure, the members of the Order spent the time discussing Death Eater rumours and the intentions of the Ministry. Snape was kind enough to help in that regard, much to the dismay of everyone at the table. Sirius had some choice words for the potion's master every time he spoke despite Lupin playing mediator. Dumbledore decided to advocate for Snape, solidifying his position as the Headmaster's unofficial second-in-command. Sirius only relented when Antares explained that Snape was one of three people who could keep an eye on Harry during the school year.

"I'm just saying the meeting would go faster if you stopped interrupting him," Antares grumbled.

"Yes, it seems a boy has more common sense than you, Black," Snape goaded.

Sirius opened his mouth to spit back a rebuttal, only for Antares to raise a finger toward him.

"Don't," the boy sighed.

"Perhaps it's best to switch topics now," Dumbledore intervened. "Has there been word from Australia, Antares? Have they changed their mind about the war?"

Antares braced himself on the table. "No, they see no reason to involve themselves. Voldemort's reach does not extend that far, nor do I think it will."

He saw various flinches around the room at the use of the Dark Lord's name.

"Selfish bastards," Moody grumbled.

"No reach?" Tonks exclaimed. "How do they know? Grindelwald almost had the world."

"Voldemort is not Grindelwald," the boy pressed.

"He is still a considerable threat," Dumbledore reminded. "Yet they refuse to do nothing, see nothing? Surely you can help sway them."

"I have already made my case to them. They do not want to take the risk. My presence here is the result of that," Antares denied.

The Circle was considerate enough to allow Antares to support his remaining family. What Dumbledore was asking for was impossible. It has been centuries since the seers swore to pacifism. To demand a divination of war from the Circle was forbidden. Not to mention Dumbledore already had a prophecy, one from Trelawney, that they were guarding at all times. Antares shook his head before looking Dumbledore in the eyes.

"Don't push them," he warned.

The other members of the Order looked in various degrees of confusion. Whether they understood the weight of the conversation was unclear, but they all looked upset at the news. Dumbledore did not look pleased either but nodded all the same.

"Then I believe that concludes tonight's meeting," the Headmaster concluded and swiftly rose from his chair.

Antares rose just as quickly, hurrying to the hallway to escape the tension in the room. After a moment, everyone else who couldn't stay walked out to join him while exchanging excited whispers. All except for Snape, who moved silently. As the potion's master skulked his way to the door, he turned to Antares with a stoic look.

"I expect you to be early to my class, Mr. Kelly," he instructed. "I will not tolerate tardiness simply because you have graduated."

"It's a shame you won't be able to take away house points as a penalty," Antares grinned slyly.

Snape huffed before exiting the house, practically slamming the door behind him. Antares braced himself for Walburga's screaming, only to let out a breath when he heard none.