Introduction

Ashta Bhairavas, the Eight Bhairavas are eight manifestations of the Hindu god, Bhairava, a ferocious aspect of Shiva. They guard and control the eight directions. Each Bhairava has eight Sub-Bhairavas under him. So there are 64 Bhairavs in total. All of the Bhairavas are ruled and controlled by Maha Kala Bhairava, who is considered the supreme ruler of time of the universe and the chief form of Bhairava.

Each of the Bhairava's manifestations represents, Akash, air, fire, water and earth and the other three being sun, moon and Atma. Each of the Bhairavs are different in appearance, have different weapons, different Vahanas and different consorts.

Bha means Bharana or maintenance
Ra means Ravana or withdrawal
Va means the creation of the universe
Bhairva manifestation is traced in the Shiva Purana

 Sometimes Bhairava plays the role of Kheshtrabalar or Kshetrapalakar. Thus his deity is found on both sides of the door to the sanctum of the main deity. Sometimes prayers are made to the Kshetrabakar independent of the main deity. In Shaktipeeth temples, a separate temple is dedicated to Bhairava. In Jyotirlinga temples, Bhairava's shrines are present within the sanctum, not far away from the Linga.