Chapter 39 - A Faint Flicker of the Past

Start from the beginning

"I offer my sincerest thanks to the both of you for taking the time to speak with me. Perhaps one day, our paths will cross again. It's not everyday that I am able to meet with such two impressive figures."

Gu Ting was the first one to snap out of his daze and quickly stood up to bow towards her.

"The pleasure was all ours. I had almost given up on finding and thanking my savior that helped me escape from death last year, so I am incredibly happy to have finally been able to meet you in person to give you my personal thanks."

Bei Yu stood up and nodded. "Young Master Zhuang, please let us know if you ever require our assistance. We'd both be honored to offer our help."

Feng Yao's lips turned up into a warm smile as she nodded in agreement.

"Many thanks. I will definitely keep your kind words in mind."

As she disappeared from view, Bei Yu slowly turned towards Gu Ting who was still staring in the direction that she had gone.

"Commander, should we report this to His Majesty?"

Gu Ting immediately nodded. 

"Of course we have to. Being able to find the person who saved me last year is no light matter. His Majesty had even expressed during then that he wanted to find this person and offer his personal thanks too. At that time, we couldn't even find a trace of that person who helped. But now knowing that that person had been Young Master Zhuang, it now makes sense why his tracks were so easily erased."

Bei Yu agreed. "Yes, Young Master Zhuang seems to be an incredible figure. It's just a pity that he was poisoned and lost his martial art abilities. It would have been an honor to spar against such a master."

Outside of the tea house, Feng Yao walked calmly down the bustling streets, unaware of Gu Ting and Bei Yu's resolution to speak to their Emperor on her behalf. 

Her thoughts went through the information that she had just gained.

So Ru Qiang is on house arrest for being suspect in a murder case. Since the victim was none other than the imperial nephew, it's no wonder why everyone is against him. 

Since there's no evidence though, I wonder if he really did it? 

She suddenly realized something.

There's no way that the emperor hasn't realized that Ru Qiang disappeared during his house arrest. 

Adviser Gu Fan had intercepted them as they crossed the border from the Wei Kingdom into the Zheng Kingdom. Knowing his arrogant personality, most likely he had already tattled on Ru Qiang to His Majesty. 

But now the question was...did Gu Fan also tell the Zheng Emperor about her?

She thought about it for a moment before she shook her head. 

 No...it doesn't matter if he did or if he didn't. There's nothing that I can do about that now.

But the fact that the Emperor isn't letting Gu Fan spread the news about Ru Qiang leaving in the middle of his house arrest...is His Majesty protecting Ru Qiang?

Is it because of their previous childhood friendship? Or is it something deeper than that?

Feng Yao sighed. It seemed that every single kingdom had a mountain-load of secrets. Trying to untangle them all was truly too much work.

Her gaze lightly scanned the vendors lining the busy streets that were packed with countless people. On all sides of her, she could see many shopkeepers ushering young masters and misses to come and see their new items. With so many different shops, it really did seem like you could buy anything that you desired.