Walk through the mist

The night air is cold, colder then the grave, its swirling fingers pull me, down the gravel road.

The mist is thick as a blanket, it tugs at my throat, it pulls at my hands, whispering to me 'come, let us dance!' but I am in no mood to dance, the pain inside me fresh, the mist understands it, but doesn't let it rest

'You did what you could' the mist reminds me, 'no one can blame you for that, certainly not those who did it, and not those who watched'

Inside me my heart grew stronger, not by much but some, the mist ran its fingers through my hair, and smiled a soft smile.

'You could not stop the car, you could not stop it hitting her, you alone tried your best, to bring her back to living'

'Who around you jumped to their feet, and rushed to aid the poor broken girl? who was the one who tried their most, to make sure she lived?'

Inside me I could feel my soul, that had long since trapped itself, release in joyous knowledge, it was I! I cried out loud, it was I who tried to save her, not one of those cowards risked death and ice and fire! I who worked hard to save, what little life she had! not them who sat and twiddled their thumbs as death shouldered her on his back!

The mist clapped its hands and laughed in wonder 'yes! 'twas you my friend, and now I hold you no longer! go forth and be a hero, do not let one life that you could not save, though horrible it was, stop you from saving many more, for heroes mourn when all are saved, there is never rest to be had! keep going on, though the road be fraught with pain, and save those you can, you can rest when you are old, and have knowledge that you did your part, while cowards shirked in shame!