Chapter 7: Anger Sparks

Depuis le début

"Are you still having nightmares?" She asks casually and I stare at her. "How did you know about my nightmares?"

"I heard you whimpering in your sleep on my way to the moonpool the other night. Are you still having them?"

"No. Now can we please, get to gathering the herbs," Robinpelt dips her head and we find the herbs in silence. Once we have everything, Robinpelt needs we head back to camp. Dapplestar is gathering up the cats going to the gathering.

I trot forward, standing beside Troutfur and Stormberry, looking up at our Clan leader. Stormberry turns and dips his head in my direction. I wave my tail in greeting. "Alright, the sun is almost set so we should head to the Island." Duststorm, Mosseye, Mistytail, Reedrunner, Lilyfeather, Birchpelt, Tigerstripe, and Adderfang head for the entrance, following behind Dapplestar.

I share looks with my friends before we rush after them. We leave camp and head for the island, I hear the rushing of the water and get excited. Suddenly someone pounces on me, batting playfully at my ears. I growl, startled, when they jump off and I see Embercloud, looking back at me with a glint in her eyes.

I wiggle my shoulders before rushing at her. She squeaks like a kit and runs away. I catch up to her and bat at her ears. She ducks her head away from me before leaping over me, landing on my other side. Looking at her I suddenly run into another cat.

I yowl in surprise and the other cat growls in annoyance. I open my eyes and immediately flinch back. I stare into Ivytail's brown eyes, full of hatred. "You again! You fish eating piece of crow-food!" I take a step back and her piercing eyes follow me.

Suddenly Troutfur's in front of me and I stare at him. Embercloud and Stormberry are at my side, glaring at Ivytail. "Calm down, Ivytail," Embercloud mews her tail flicking anxiously. "Calm down? She took my mate from me!" Ivytail snarls and I flinch but Troutfur remains unfazed, his gaze calm.

"You're not the only one hit hard that day. The guilts been eating away at Echowish. And may I remind you that your mate was trying to drown me and nearly succeed the only reason that RiverClan and ThunderClan aren't at war is because Echowish saved my life." Ivytail's eyes widened and she took a step back before shaking her head.

"No, you're lying! Thornclaw wouldn't have done that." For the first time, Troutfur's eyes flash with anger. "Why would I lie about this, face the fact that your mate almost killed an apprentice. So my advice to you is let it go. Before it's too late to prevent a war between our two Clans. And if you wish to preserve your mate's memory." Ivytail is quiet and her gaze goes to me.

I step forward up beside Troutfur and look steadily up into Ivytail's brown eyes. "I'm sorry about Thornclaw, I wasn't trying to hurt him, I was just trying to save my Clanmate. May StarClan welcome him joyfully." Ivytail's eyes grew sad, she dips her head before jumping onto the tree bridge.

Troutfur jumps onto the tree bridge after her and I follow. My friends behind me. "Are you okay?" Embercloud asks padding behind me. "I'm alright, I'm glad I could appease her, I can never take back what I did and no doubt ThunderClan will let all the Clans know what I did to Thornclaw."

I heard the chatter of the other Clans. "Sounds like we're the last to arrive," Birchpelt mews as we get onto the island. We pad through the brush and enter the clearing, the Clans huddled together. The leaders were up on their branches.

I took note of Badgerstar, Sagestar, and Rabbitstar. Dapplestar, weaves through the crowd and jumps up to her branch. The deputies and medicine cats sit at the roots of the tree. "Stormpaw?" I turn and see Brightpaw padding toward my friend.

I hear Stormberry purr, waving his tail in greeting. "It's Stormberry now, Brightpaw."

"Oh, well Stormberry it's Brightwhisker now." I ignore them as I hear Birchpelt talking to warriors from WindClan. I hear a yowl come from the branches. Rabbitstar began the gathering. The chatter around me died down.

Rabbitstar is the first to step forward to speak. The brown tabby looks down at the cats gathered below. "WindClan has been surviving nicely, the winter hasn't been too brutal but we're happy that it will soon pass." Rabbitstar steps back, having said all he needed to say.

Badgerstar steps forward, his gaze sweeping over the gathered cats. I crouch down, ears flat against my head, waiting for the worst. "I say this with a heavy heart, we have lost Thornclaw, we all mourn him, he was a terrific warrior and my friend. Prey has been well and nothing too exciting has happened in ThunderClan territory."

Badgerstar steps back and I stare up at him in surprise. Then I realize, ThunderClan is trying to keep its battle with ShadowClan a secret. What happens between two Clans stays between Clans. Sagestar went next only announcing Toadfoot and Brightwhisker becoming warriors and prey is running well.

The leaders sit down and talk among themselves, the cats around me go back to talking, sharing news and greetings. I see Troutfur among a group of warriors, he sees me and waves me over. Maybe things are starting to turn around.