Last of their kind ( pt 5 )

Start from the beginning

Elanor watched in silence. First she watched Seren's expression, then she watched her hands as they started to glow with a brilliant white light. It was not to bright that she had to shield her eyes, but it was enough to make her squint.

The elder felt the warmth, then the pain dissipated, as the light dimmed. Seren released her wrist and Elanor looked at at her with gratitude, flexing her wrist, to test it.

"The pain has gone... And the stiffness that was there before. Thank you Seren. Should you need it, after everything you are to do, there will always be a place here for you and Caleb." Elanor said with a smile.

"You're welcome, and thank you for having us. I'm sure we will meet again, when all is right in the lands." Seren told her.

They decided they had better get back to the farewell dance before Caleb started wondering where they were. Both made their way to the front of the stage to watch Marie sing her final song.

This was a more livelier song than the first she had sung, and the other villagers were joining hands in pairs and dancing.

Caleb came through the crowd and caught sight of Elanor and Seren. He walked briskly to them and smiled.

"We'll have to leave soon." He addressed both Seren, and Elanor.

Both nodded and listened to the end of the song. At the end, Elanor got up on the stage and cleared her throat.

"Our guests must leave shortly... We will lead them to the West road, and bid them a fond farewell." she told the villagers.

They all started walking to the West end of the village, between the mud huts.

Mother Elanor leading, with Will at her side and Caleb and Seren just behind them. Every few steps, Will casting glances back at Caleb and Seren, with a wide grin on his face.

When they reached the outskirts of the village, Elanor and Will stopped. They turned around with warm smiles on their faces.

From the corner of his eye, Caleb saw two horses with their packs attached to the saddles.

"What is this?" Caleb asked, waving a hand at the horses.

"These are for you, they will take some time off your journey, and save your legs too." Elanor replied.

" We cannot accept these..." Caleb said. "It would cost you dearly, to replace such fine beasts. Besides, it would be improper."

"Nonsense." Elanor said sternly, waving a dismissive hand. " We didn't pay for these horses. They are our friends, they are wild horses. Now and then, they visit to help. Don't worry, they'll give you no trouble, the chestnut mare is a little.... spirited, but she'll behave for you." She turned and watched Seren walk to the chestnut mare and stroke the horse's muzzle.

"She's beautiful." Seren said, in awe. "Does she have a name?"

Elanor chuckled. "We don't name the horses that come here... They are just friends."

Seren looked into the mare's eyes. "She looks like a ... 'flame', to me. Shall I call you Flame?" She asked the horse.

The mare nuzzled Seren's shoulder with her nose, in an affectionate way, as if to reply.

Elanor was stunned. "Well, I can't say I've ever seen that before... I think you've gained a friend there, Seren.". She exclaimed.

Seren simply smiled at her and run her hand up the horse's muzzle.

"There is food in the saddle bags and we've added a bottle of honey mead and a bottle of loganberry brew. But don't drink too much at once, or you'll spend more time falling off the horse's, than you will riding them." Elanor told them, giggling.