Last of their kind ( pt 5 )

Seren followed the blonde girl to a mud hut. Inside, Elanor sat on a wooden bench next to a blazing pit fire.

"Come sit with me, Seren.". Elanor said in a kind voice.

Seren did as asked and sat beside her, wondering what this was all about.

Elanor was silent for a while, gazing into the fire. Thinking how best to tell Seren what she wanted her to know. In the end, she thought the best way was to just tell her the facts and let Seren judge for herself.

"You're probably wondering why I wanted to speak to you alone... There is no simple way to put this so I'll just tell you what I know." Elanor paused. "Not long from now, something will happen to you... I have foreseen you being taken. This you must let happen, though I see no way for it to be avoided. This occurrence will be a test for both you and Caleb. The test for Caleb, to see if he has the integrity to overcome your captors and complete his quest. Your test is a difficult one. One of trust."

Seren gave her a puzzled look.

"I believe it is down to you, whether Caleb will pass the test or not. Trust is the key. Now all that is needed is for you to decide whether or not you will tell Caleb of our talk. That is one reason I wanted to tell you alone, for it must be your choice for him to know. But know that if you tell him, it could change the outcome, force his hand in a manner of speaking. If he is not told, then he can decide for himself to rescue you, or leave your fate in your hands." Elanor told her.

Seren understood what Elanor was saying, but didn't really know what to do. She didn't want to jeopardise Caleb's quest. All of this was alot to take on board, and she knew the wrong choice could lead to something bad. She sat for a few minutes, in silence, trying to decide what to do. A thought came to her.

"Elanor... How did you know about me feeling something was wrong?"

"I saw it in your eyes." Elanor replied. "I saw fear, uncertainty and knew it stemmed from the same feelings I have myself. But you are a strong one, Seren. I know that whichever way your path leads you will be fine. Even when all seems lost. There is also something else that will happen to you, though it is not my place to tell you. This you must find out by yourself, but do not fear it. I'm sure that you have heard these words before, you must follow your heart... Also, let your instincts guide you. They will not let you down. Now tell me, have you made your decision?"

Seren looked into her eyes and nodded. "I think it best that Caleb not know the nature of our talk. He will, however, be curious and question me about it."

Elanor seemed to contemplate this and cocked her head to the side. "What to you plan on telling him?" She asked.

Seren thought this over briefly. "I will tell him you were in need of healing... You seem to know so much about me, already, I don't doubt you know about one of my abilities." She raised an eyebrow at Elanor.

The elder laughed then winked at Seren. "The words, 'Dorga Ma'ico', spring to mind... In that, you wouldnt be far wrong about my need."

"What do you mean?" Seren asked.

"Well, I do have a little pain in my wrist. I tried carrying a sack of grain to the kitchen, a few days ago. I guess I'm not as young and able as I used to be." Elanor said, with a small chuckle.

Seren held her hand out. "May I?" She asked.

Elanor nodded and placed her hand in Seren's.

Seren enclosed her hands around Elanor's wrist and sought the calm within. Closing her eyes, she focused on the elder's pain and willed it to ease.