Part three

His Ute carefully drove down what was left of the roads, headlights blaring, lighting up the entire area.
The man who was driving didn't say much, or at least I thing he's a man. He wore a hoodie that was covered in armour and other bits and bobs, the hood pulled up to sort of cover the mask that he wore beneath. It reminded her of an old gas mask that her grandpa used to keep in his cupboard, although this mask was like an entire helmet and it had dark magenta eye pieces with glowing neon green crosses for eyes. The truck was filled with the smell of spray pain and grease.
"Thanks for helping me" I say,
"No problem" he says friendly, nodding in my direction. His mask is unnerving. He shows no emotions thought the mask and I can't tell what he's thinking.
" um, would it be possible to take your mask off? It's kinda creeping me out." I ask, he chuckles.
"Sorry about that missy, but I think we would both be better off if I didn't."
"Why?" I ask
"BECAUSE. Okay?" He says sternly. There is a silence.
"Left here, right?" He asks,
"Yeah" I reply and the silence continues.
"So..." I begin, trying to strike up conversation again, "what do you do for a living?" I ask, that's a normal question, right?
"I'm a mechanic, like you. I also like to make art. I do other stuff, but that's none of your business." He replies.
"Like me?" I ask, "how did you know?"
"I can smell it on ya. Us mechanics need to stick together" he explains, which brings up even more questions, like how can he smell from under that helmet?
"But you now know me better than I know you. Who are you?" He asks, I hesitate for a second.
"I'm Sophia miller, I break down vehicles and sell them for parts." I tell him,
"Huh, and what were you doing in Ravine town? That's a very dangerous place" he asks, and my heart sinks.
"I was in a race, I crashed my car. Then I found that" I say, gesturing to the ball in the back.
"Hmmm, what were the stakes, if I may ask" He asks. I think back to my car in the garage,
"My other car..." I say, sniffling.
"Oh, that sucks" he says as we pull up to my house, "well, I understand what that car means to you. This may be to early to say, but if you need me I'm always one phone call away." He hands me a card and I take it.
"Thanks" I say, opening the door.
"Now remember, you have something special there, take good care of it." He says vaguely, I nod. I pull the ball out of the back of the Ute and he drives off, waving out his window and I wave back.

I chuck the ball in the garage and stare longingly at my car before heading inside to sleep.