Chapter 4

The elder's eyes were sunken into his skull, but otherwise, his fur was as brilliant as it had likely been as an adolescent. The ears seemed almost permanently leaning forward as if the elder had difficulty hearing, but he might well be a youngling were it not for the respect he commanded. The Kelbrag literally bowed with every approach or word they gave to him.

The sunken eyes watched her with a mixture of curiosity and divisiveness. Ref Andra was probably the first Ghirp to ever step into the inner sanctum and she got the feeling that only the innate curiosity of this elder had allowed that in the first place. He didn't like her or Alexander, but he had unspoken questions that burned him to his core. The elder had to know why she was here and what she thought to offer them in return for Grathe's freedom.

"You've done well for yourself here," Ref said.

"You should not speak out of turn." The rep looked uncomfortable as if his job description didn't include being here in the presence of the old cat.

"Leynar, you can leave us," the elder said.

The rep opened his mouth to argue, took one look at the sunken eyes, and fled the chamber with restless abandon.

The elder shifted in his seat, his eyes never ceasing their scrutiny of Ref. "I worked in the recyclotron as a youth... not a pleasant experience, but I suspect you can relate. After leaving my goal became ensuring that none of my Bertania family had to ever suffer at the bottom anymore."

"An admirable goal—if only other Obsolus would follow that example," Ref said. She felt uncomfortable at the small talk. She was only here because the elder wanted what she had to offer, whether he wanted it enough to free Grathe was what had yet to be determined.

"There are a few others, but few and far between..." the elder seemed to tire of the small talk the same as Ref. He shifted again, obviously uncomfortable regardless of what position he tried to sit in. "I don't think I have ever encountered a Ghirp willing to push her way into a Bertania sanctum. And, I've most decidedly never witnessed one who succeeded."

"You have a friend of ours."

The elder finally looked away, back towards his stack of handhelds. "Yes, quite the loyalty Grathe must have earned to have such friends. If only he had shown that same consideration towards his clan."

"What were his crimes?"

"He betrayed the clan."

"That is hardly an answer."

"Perhaps you should ask your friend?"

Ref smiled, which seemed to magnetize the elder, as he looked at her sharply. She must be an enigma to him as he struggled to understand her presence here. "I'll do that after you pardon him."

Perhaps the elder had already figured her out. "You may be able to bully my subordinates because they lack a certain imagination on diversity within Obsolus society, but you won't succeed with that attitude in regards to my actions."

Ref nodded, keeping her smile as genuine and dangerous as she could muster. "Okay, how about a straight up trade? Grathe's pardon and your promise that he will be free to choose his own path."

Leaning back, the elder studied her with renewed interest. "Where's the trade part?"

"A power core. Military grade."

There wasn't even a flicker of interest. The elder had been at this table before and knew how to maintain his demeanor perfectly. "What makes you think we need such an item?"