V.

CHAPTER FIVE
"APARTMENT 17B"

CHAPTER FIVE"APARTMENT 17B"

"I DON'T WANT TO SEE HIM."

The nurse snaked her head back around the door, keeping her foot right in between the door and the wall. "He doesn't want to see you right now," I heard her mutter. The door shut as the nurse walked away and back out into the hallway.

Jake rolled his eyes after she left. "I can't believe him sometimes."

"Neither can I. You wouldn't believe the things he said to me last night." I sighed.

"What things?" Jake sat straight up in the bed.

I paused before answering him. "Lustful things," I whispered.

Jake balled his fists. "I'm going to kill him."

"No, you are not."

"And why shouldn't I?" Jake raised his voice. "He's a disrespectful prick. He deserves to get his ass kick—"

"Watch your language." I glared at him. "I think it's best if we just both avoid him."

Jake shook his head. "That's not enough. He needs to learn his place."

"What would Jesus do in this situation? Huh? He wouldn't put his hands on the sinner, would he? No, he would help him. Try to evangelize. We've already tried that. If Josh wants to keep acting the way he does then that's on him. Got it?" I raise a brow.

Jake sighed. "Got it," he said reluctantly. "But I swear if he pulls another stunt like that again then I'm going to—"

"Pray very, very hard for him," I finished his sentence for him.

"Something like that," he muttered.

After a few more minutes, Jake requested to see Peter and Maggie, so he notified his nurse and just like that, the whole gang was back together, cracking jokes and making each other laugh. We were a dysfunctional bunch, but we were family.

Peter had altar duty, so after a little while, we parted ways with Jake and wished him well. Peter insisted that we take the stairs down because he said the elevators were busy, but really he just wanted to impress Maggie by sliding down the rails. He was a real goofball sometimes. Maggie wasn't phased.

"Lucy Weatherall apparently ran away from home last night," Peter said, swiping through his phone and walking through the parking lot at the same time.

"Oh no," Maggie said sympathetically, "She must be feeling really down in the dumps."

"She probably just wants attention," Peter replied.

"Oh, hush Peter. I can't imagine how bad things must be for her," I said. "Consider other people's feelings for once."

Peter threw his hands up in defense. "Anyone notice how... weird things have been happening since Joshua has been around more often?"