25 » ta-ra, have a good evening

Začať od začiatku

Behind me, the door opened, and an agent appeared. We were allowed in.

I closed the party, letting Andrew Carlisle and Noah walk in the room loaded with press first. I emptied all thoughts and forced myself to take on a neutral face, one that revealed nothing.

I was seated next to the big boss. I put my hat on the table, which I quietly wished it'd spontaneously combust, and sat down.

A man, making sure this whole thing would be handled correctly, took the lead.

" Welcome, everyone. From left to right; Metropolitan Police spokesman Noah Read, Metropolitan Police Chief officer, sir Andrew Carlisle and miss Sadie Iverson, member of the Serious and Organised Crime Command of the Metropolitan Police. I give the floor to Noah Reid." 

I did have a cool fake job, I had to admit. If there'd be anything I'd do for the Met, It'd be for that.

Noah cleared his throat. I had to fight the urge to roll my eyes. 

" Welcome, everyone. The reason for this gathering is the events after the event in the O2 Arena yesterday evening," Noah started. " One of our officers was involved, Miss Iverson on the left of you." I nodded slightly and looked at each and every camera in the room, my gaze unfaltering. When I was done, I looked at the people.

" As I mentioned earlier, Miss Iverson is part of the Serious and Organised Crime Command, in which she helps to track down illegal drug activities." Noah kept quiet for a second.

" Via an anonymous tip, we gathered information that there were to be illegal drugs trafficking during the rehearsals and the said event. Sadie, one of our best officers, was sent out to check out the claim, along with several other, unnamed officers." 

I wondered if Noah found it difficult to acknowledge that I, was indeed one of the best officers. Not for their department, but for the MI6. The press did not find any of his story of importance, as they gazed upon him with rather bored faces.

"Miss Iverson and her companions were shot at from a building nearby, at the end of the event. Miss Iverson responded as all agents would during such a time: swift and correct, by taking her gun and secure her friends." Noah swallowed.

" The still unfamiliar shooter followed Miss Iverson and her companion to Central London, where our colleagues and agents of other divisions such as the MI5 and MI6 joined Miss Iverson. They were called upon because of the migration to the city centre, where several people could have gotten injured. To our great displeasure, the shooter escaped. His identity and whereabouts are to date, unknown."

What a dick. He had to mention Five and Six. I suppose putting Andrew Carlisle in the middle had been premeditated, so I wouldn't kill their spokesmen on live television.

" You are allowed to ask questions. Please, one by one. I will let you know when you can ask your question by naming your news channel and name," The man from earlier said.

Everyone started shouting at once. The man's face grew annoyed as if he was talking in a room filled with unmannered toddlers.

" Yes, CNN," he pointed to a woman with platinum blonde hair.

" Did you approve of this mission, sir Carlisle?" The woman asked him. Sir Carlisle I had cringed internally several times when Noah had called me 'Miss Iverson.' Poor Andrew Carlisle.

" Yes, I did approve the mission," Andrew Carlisle stated. She seemed somewhat displeased with his short answer.

" Yes, you with the blue sweater." Half the people stared at their own sweaters, all of a sudden unsure of what they'd put on this morning.

" Miss Iverson, the shooter was following you. Is there a possibility someone's out for revenge, specifically aimed towards yourself?" She asked me.

Noah answered for me. " No, the possibility isn't there. We have checked all known hideouts of possible criminals. Nothing has come out of that." 

I balled my fists in my lap. The man in the blue sweater seemed surprised that he answered for me.T

The man pointed to another press member; a woman with a dark green dress.

" Sadie, I'd like to know more about your relationship with mister Horan." She seemed way to fashionable  - probably a woman from some fashion magazine. I wondered how she'd gotten in.

" The relationship between miss Iverson and mister Horan isn't relevant to this gathering. Next question." Noah, again. I was starting to grow restless, my anger growing by the second. Andrew Carlisle seemed to notice.

" May I ask what's wrong with miss Iverson's capabilities to respond?" the same woman asked quickly, to which many people laughed. She gazed at Noah, her face daring. I liked her immediately. Noah looked at her as if she'd smacked him in the face.

" My mouth, ears, and brain function properly, which indeed makes me capable of answering questions that are specifically aimed towards me. Thank you, Noah."

People laughed, again. A smile danced across my lips, which got an approving nod by the woman.

" Would you mind answering the question I asked yourself, Sadie?" She asked, directly to me this time.

" Of course, though I must say that my answer does not differ much from that of our spokesman." I emphasised the word my, which again, people laughed at.

" My relationship with Mr. Horan isn't of importance in this matter. But, if you'd like to know more, I suggest approaching Mr. Horan's team." I said.

The man pointed at someone else. " Why did you take Niall Horan along on that motorcycle? Why did you not abandon him?" 

I knew someone would ask me that. Thankfully, I had rehearsed that. " I was at the said event with him, despite my obligations that night. I suppose you would not leave your friend behind if someone started shooting?" The man was unsure what to say. I noticed people were intrigued by my smooth chats. THey looked at me as if I were an interesting study object.

" Was the threat an act of terrorism?" one asked.

"No, no one has claimed anything thus far. Since it's been nearly a day and we haven't found any trace of terrorism. That matter can be disclosed entirely," Andrew Carlisle answered.

" May I ask how it's possible you lost this person? I mean, it's not making any sense. The guy followed miss Iverson. What happened? Did you have to shake him off?" 

I tried not to sigh. These vultures wanted to know literally everything.

" As mentioned, I got assistance once I got into the City, which made him wary, most likely, deciding to halt the pursuit," I lied as easily as I told truths. " I was hit by a bullet at the O2 arena, unfortunately. I wasn't capable of joining the chase, as I had lost too much blood to proceed. My colleagues lost the person shortly after." 

I hated to pity talk about myself, but it seemed to work.

" May I ask how you are doing?" The same person asked.

" After getting blood and a few stitches, I was fine, as I am now. Thank you very much," I nodded at him in a friendlier manner.

After ten minutes, the man halted the press of asking any more questions. Shortly after, I left the room with my fake colleagues.

" How could you? You portrayed me like some manipulate fool!" Noah hissed when the doors closed behind us. I stared at him, my face full of anger. 

" You answered twice for me, dear Reid. What comes around, goes around. ta-ra. Have a good evening." I turned around and walked out of the building on the lookout for a taxi.