"Brusies."

"From what!" I yell at him. He stays silent. "Brett, tell me please."

He sighed and his lips parted for a spilt second but then snapped back shut.

"Tell me... please." I can feel my lip trembling.

"No, no Lilli please don't cry."

"Well, then I need you to tell me!"

"Fine, fine..." He bit his lip before he spoke. "It's my dad..."

"Again?"

Bretts parents got a divorce about a month ago... its very rare so his mom was frowned upon, so she moved to Newfoundland, Canada... some place where no one knows she is divorced. So, Brett was left with his father. After the divorce Bretts father quiet his job and started drinking. He is drunk almost every night when he comes home from the bar, usually a girl is with him. He sends her off to him room and then tell Brett not to bother them. The next morning his father will make up a stupid excuse that Brett did something from, and he beats him until he can get away.

Brett slowly nods.

"I don't want to leave you." I say more tears coming into my eyes.

"What do you mean?" I bite my lips to keep myself from sobbing.

"We are moving to New York." My mom speaks up from the couch. Brett just stares at her not believing what he just heard. She shakes his head in disbeilf.

"You can't. You are the only people who I feel love me. This is my home!" He yells in a sad angry tone. The tears are now falling off my face and landing on the old carpet.

"I'm sorry..." I whispered.

"Why did my mom have to leave me here with him?" He walks over to the couch and plants himself down into it. Suddenly I remeber the tickets. Then a idea pops into my head. I quickly run back into my room.

"What are you doing Lilli?" I hear my moms voice coming from the living room. I dont answer her. I quickly grab the tickets from my bed and run back into the room.

"What are those?" Brett asks. I look towards my mom. She smiles and nods her head. I look through the peices of paper until I see the one I was looking for, my fathers.

"Here." I hand him the peice of paper. His eyes skim from the words and his mouth slowly drops to the floor.

"I can't take this." He says his eyes still glued to the ticket.

"Yes you can, we have no use for it now." My mother says. He finally looks up at me and smiles.

"Thank you." I nod at him.

"Your welcome."

"Well Brett you better get writing a letter to your mother telling her you are coming." Brett is still smiling and he stands up and walks towards the door. Then suddenly he stops dead in his track and looks towards me and my mother.

"I don't want to go back there." He says his lips barley moving.

"Write it here then." My mothers tell him, getting a peice of paper and a pen.

After helping Brett write a long letter for a hour. We are ready to send it. I grab a envelope and put the letter into it and lick the seals and snap it shut. He quickly wirtes down the address and we walk out of the front door out onto the street. As we walk past Brett house he stoppes.

"Come on." I motion him to keep walking.

"I forgot your birthday present in there." He points to his house.