Eyes on You-Mitch Rapp

Start from the beginning

"No," I said tearing my hand out of his hold. "I waited six years for you. I'm done waiting." I turned around but before I could take more than three steps away from him, he called out to me.

"You're in danger."

I turned around, instantly crossing my arms across my chest. "What?" I scoffed.

"Men are coming for you, Y/N." He said as he took a few hesitant steps towards me.

"Me?" I scoffed. "You disappear for six years and when you do finally come back, it's to warn me that men are coming for me. Why the hell would men be after me?"

"It's because of your father." I studied him, trying to see if he was serious.

"My father?" I asked, causing him to nod. "I haven't spoken to my father since I was a little girl. You remember. I called you sobbing after he packed up and left me. Seems like I have a habit of associating myself with people who leave."

Mitch looked at me with soft eyes. He opened his mouth to say something but closed it when something over my shoulder caught his attention. His eyes narrowed and his hands clenched into fists at whatever it was that he saw.

"What is wrong with you?" I asked as I started to turn around. I gasped as Mitch grabbed my arm and started leading me away.

"Let me go, Mitch." I said as he continued to drag me away from my apartment.

"Seriously," I sighed. "Mitch, what is going on?" I gasped as he ducked into an alleyway, pulling me behind him.

"Mitch, what the hell. . ." I started to say. He cut me off as he pressed me against the building and instantly pressed his lips to mine.

It took me a second to recover from the overall shock of the kiss before my eyes fluttered closed. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me.

We ignored the footsteps running past us as our lips moved in sync. Our tongues fought for dominance as his hands roamed up and down my back.

He was the first to pull away. We looked into each others' eyes as we struggled to catch our breaths.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I just. . . I didn't. . . I couldn't let them see you."

"Let who see me?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

"It's hard to explain," he sighed.

"Try."

I held my breath as he reached up and cupped my cheek in his hand. "About two weeks ago, your father was kidnapped as he left his lab."

"What?" My voice got caught in my throat. "How do you know?" I stuttered.

"You're father has been building weapons on behalf of the CIA."

"The CIA," I said slowly causing Mitch to nod. "And how do you know that?"

"Because," he hesitated. "I am a secret operative for the CIA."

"A secret operative?" I asked, my head starting to hurt from all this new information. "Like a spy?" I stuttered.

"No," Mitch said with a small laugh. "I. . . Well I. . . I guess technically, yes." He shrugged.

"Mitch," I sighed. He cleared his throat when he saw the scared and confused look in my eyes.

"Anyway, a very powerful, very dangerous man kidnapped your father. The people who took him want him to build them a bomb. When he continued to refuse, they threatened to hurt the one person he thought was safe. You."

"Me," I said, my breath getting caught in my throat. "He. . . He left me."

"He left to protect you, Y/N."

"Like you?" I asked, catching him off-guard. My heart sank as he hesitated. "I guess not," I mumbled.

"Look Y/N," he sighed. "It's a long story and I promise to explain everything, but first I need to get you to safety."

He started to lead me away, but I pulled my hand out of his grasp. "Mitch, you're not making any sense."

"A couple of days ago, we got word that the man who has your father sent an associate to find you. Y/N," he said reaching forward and grabbing both of my hands in his. "They are going to use you as leverage. They are going to hurt you, Y/N. I have to get you to safety."

"Mitch," I sighed.

"Please Y/N," he said, cutting me off. "I can't. . . I won't lose you too."

"Too? Mitch, what happened?"

"I'll explain later just. . . Please, Y/N. Let me protect you."

I looked at the seriousness in his eyes and nodded. He let out a sigh of relief as he reached down and intertwined our fingers. I bit my lip as I allowed him to lead me out of the alleyway and down the street.

I felt myself constantly looking over my shoulder, in front of us, and across the street for any sign of danger. We were standing at the crosswalk, waiting for the light to change when I felt him lean over and put his lips next to my ear.

"I'm right here," he whispered. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you. I promise."