Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

The fact that Hermione didn't respond at first made Regina think that the cracks in Hermione's mind were growing.

Regina did not point out the regret.

"I know that the present world is not necessarily an easy world for Muggleborns – especially with those associated with the former Headmaster and the Boy Who Died. But it isn't impossible for all of them. Those with powerful friends have great potential."

Hermione said, "All my friends are here."

"Some friends –"Regina said quietly, so quietly that Hermione seemed to doubt it, "What did you say?"

"The Fawley family has traditionally taken Muggleborns and half-blood families with questionable lineage under their protection. We employ them and teach them. Rose Zellar – her mother is a Muggleborn and her father is also a Half-blood are safe because they serve a family. It isn't perfect, but we are teaching them."

"I think my position is difficult because of my connections here –"Hermione said.

"Perhaps, you are right," Regina said. "But perhaps if you were to serve a pureblood family or two – that you might find your connections and your past to change."

Hermione looked hard at Regina with this comment. She looked around the room, as if she wanted to say more, but could not get herself to do it. After a few more awkward moments and questions, she left the room.

"Thank you, Miss Fawley for the conversation. You may speak indirectly, but I have always sensed an honesty about your feelings with me."

"Miss Granger," Regina replied. "I don't speak to people any other way."

+ + + +

Regina walked smoothly through thick under brush. She smirked at Granger's wand pointed at her back while Dumbledore led the way in front. He wouldn't dare to bring anyone else. Regina could sense a portkey on each of them, each one able to take a second person – her. But Regina still had an unseen portkey connected to her person and she could apparate – something that neither seemed to think she was capable of.

Regina watched as Dumbledore led them to a thick tangle of tree trunks and a shimmer of something that was being hidden just behind it. Dumbledore pointed through as he was about to raise his wand to break the enchantments.

Regina yelled, "Wait!"

With a twinkle Dumbledore turned and looked her in the eye.

"You understand that I know the Dark Arts, right?" Regina said.

While she understood and knew many, she had not yet moved deeply into the area of warding. Regina stepped forward.

"Could I have my wand a second?" she asked him.

Granger gripped her wand tighter. Dumbledore seemed to study her for a minute before he seemed to come to a conclusion. Then, he handed her the wand. Regina pointed her wand and made a cutting motion.

Suddenly, a house appeared – wall covered it moss and tiles falling from the roof. Rafters from the ceiling were showing. Nettles grew around the house and their tips reached the windows.

Hermione gasped while Dumbledore let his eyes twinkle. Dumbledore was about to step forward when Regina growled another.

"Wait!"

Dumbledore turned to her, his eyes squinting at her.

"You were about to walk right into a line that would have set dark things at us. Your very presence here is warded against. My presence is not."